How many of your work away from the farm

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by billz, Oct 31, 2018.

?

How many of you work away from the farm?

This poll will close on Nov 30, 2018 at 6:22 AM.
  1. I work full time

85.0%
  2. I work part time

7.5%
  3. I work but on a temporary basis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I am not currently employed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I am retired and horse around when ever I feel like it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I haven't started working yet because I'm stil in school

7.5%
  1. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Wow. Sounds tough. :(

2. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

I work full time and my husband works full time. We have lots of critters to care for with dogs, cats, chickens, horses, mules and donkeys.
    I am looking at 2 or 3 more years to retire and I cannot wait.

ChestersMomma, billz and manesntails like this.
  3. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

For me, it depends on what I'm doing. When I worked at the greyhound track, I averaged 70-80 hours per week, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. And I loved it. I missed 3 days in that entire time, when I gave birth to my first child (I worked all day the day she was born and went back to work the day the doctor let me out of the hospital).

It was just a way of life - similar to farming, in that the work needed to be done, animals needed to be cared for, and you just did it.

When I worked road construction, I worked an average of 48 hours a week, plus I worked on the farm where I lived so I put in 8-10 hour days on the weekends. I loved that too. It was physical work, outdoors, with people I enjoyed being with.

It would kill me working those hours indoors or in an office, though.

4. QHshowmanship

QHshowmanship Senior Member

I work full time and recently was promoted to the business manager - so I am running a million dollar business. I work anywhere from 40-50 hours a week and on call 24/7. I also am a borough council member (meetings twice a month in the evening) and a volunteer fire fighter (drill every Wednesday - I don't run many calls anymore, too busy). So such as this week, by Tuesday I had 22 hours in, had a council meeting Monday, board meeting last night, fire meeting tonight, budget meeting tomorrow night - then Friday I am calling it an early night (planning ahead). Saturday is my catch up as I run a side business/hobby so I have to make projects - Sunday is get my horse stuff done, clean stalls, etc. My life is so hectic. I get horse time in the summer when it's light longer - but Fall-Spring they see me to feed and let out. Horses are at my house along with dogs, ducks, chickens and rabbit. I do 98% of the household farm/chores myself.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    ChestersMomma likes this.
  5. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

That exhausted me just reading it! :eek:

6. QHshowmanship

QHshowmanship Senior Member

I get exhausted, this week has been a headache of a week already - but it'll be worth it in the end!

7. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

I like it. I like staying busy, I enjoy the people I work with and my husband and I have found a happy balance. So what's the issue?

My pocket book enjoys it too. My family doesn't want for anything.

I am not forced to work that much. I am a Union member, if I want time off, I take time off. But when you're making almost $100hr on a Sunday, would you say no?

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  8. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Oh there's absolutely no issue at all if that's what you want to do! More power to you! Its just not something I personally would be okay with doing.

9. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

I'm with Bella........@QHshowmanship - yeah....exhausting is an understatement!

I'd do it......seriously, for that kind of cash, I'd totally do it. I also like to keep busy, so that could be part of why I'd do it......but I'd only do it if I was bringing home the majority of the $100/hr. It half or more went to taxes, then forget it!

ChestersMomma and lucky_pine like this.
  10. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

Ugh, taxes! The more you make, the more they take!