How Long Will my Toe Injury Last?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MysticRealm, Mar 17, 2017.

1. MysticRealm

MysticRealm Senior Member

Just under 2 weeks ago I decided to teach my car a lesson for the rear hatch crashing down on my head by kicking the bumper. Smart, I know. The pain in my big toe was extremely intense at the moment it happened, I thought initially that I might have broken it, it lightly bruised up almost immediately (in fact my whole foot turned red for a short while) and had some swelling. I couldn't walk great that evening. By the next morning, the pain while walking wasn't too bad. I had an 8 hour drive home and definitely for a while I could feel the tightness of my shoe due to the swelling there, but that seemed to ease up a bit by the end of the drive.
    After that I could pretty much walk fine on it. Going down the stairs I could feel it a hair but not bad and shortly after that I felt pretty good in most normal activity.
    My toe definitely can't bend as much as my other big toes can (though it does loosen up a bit the more I try to bend it I think) and that is a painful motion to 'clench' my toes into a 'fist' as well as having the toe lifted up to it's full extent. There is a hardish 'bump' on the outside of the toe I think just in front of the joint by the nail with some slight swelling, and that joint is still painful to pressure on the top of it.
    I imagine it's just a strain right? Otherwise it'd be more painful to walk on I think. It's not a huge deal since it doesn't affect 'regular life' much, but it'd be nice to have a time frame to look forward too haha.

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You probably have a hairline fracture. My toe had pain only going down stairs when I did that to it.
    Can't really do much for it but to tape it to the next few to stablilize it. Six weeks you should be over it.

Alsosusieq2 and mooselady like this.
  3. harli36

harli36 Senior Member

There is really no possible way to tell without an x-ray. Personally for a big toe, with everything that is attached to it, I would be getting the x-ray and not doing the wait and see approach. I once broke my pinky and the way I broke it caused the tip of it to hang. Went to the Er where it was taped and then went to a bone doc afterward. Turned out my tendon ripped a piece of bone off the top of my pinky and that is why it hung. If I had kept it taped the way the nurse taped it then it wouldn't have healed right and would have hung the rest of my life. I'm glad I had it looked at even with my Dad making fun of me for all the hoopla over a stupid pinky. It was worth it to me.

PyroTekNik333 and manesntails like this.
  4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Yeah. What manes said. It'll take about that time. Really I don't think there's much they can do that you can't do yourself. I've no experience, just logic on it. Sorry though, darn it-!! You really don't deserve getting punished in my opinion, so an awhh heck is in order. ;)

5. MysticRealm

MysticRealm Senior Member

Thanks guys. Maybe it is a hairline fracture. I don't think I'll go in because I really can function virtually 100%. It rarely bothers me unless I put pressure on it (top of the toe), or sometimes a movement like putting on my shoe/slipping on flip flops. I have even run agility with it without problems. Its just a few specific not too important things. I do have to go back to the doctor for a follow up for something so if it's still bothering me then I'll ask her about it.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

Eh, yeah, I'd agree with the hairline fracture and just give it time and see if it persists since it's not necessarily impeding much.

Bones on feet are so fine, it's easy to hairline or bruise the bones. I hairlined the top of my foot playing soccer and it really didn't affect much aside from hurting when I put shoes on or added pressure. All the doc could offer was a boot. Um.. I'm good, thanks.

I hope you taught that bumper a lesson, though!

7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Put some tape around it so it heals well.
    I have a little toe that was completely shattered. Car ran a red light and hit me in my driver door and demolished it. I didn't do anything to it and it was still swollen and painful three months later. Dr. xrayed it and said: " ya shoulda taped that up". It was completely shattered. I still get pains in it cuz there are loose pieces floating around in there would've mended together, if they'd had the chance.

8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

^^ probably the best bet as manes said on taping it. Don't beat yourself up tho getting frustrated. Just don't kick anything again... I know, I've never done it, but I'd be so aggravated at myself. Tape and time.;)

9. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

Fun fact, messed up toes can lead to messed ankels, to messed up knees and so on up the body.
    No foot no human lol hmm, that's not as catchy as the horse version :ROFLMAO:

I would go in personally.

I have a short toe (was born with it though) that causes all sorts of 'fun' problems. Fortunately my problem is fixed more or less with a modified insole. Unfortunately nobody noticed it until I was an adult and had developed arthritis.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. CupcakeCoquette

CupcakeCoquette Full Member

A few years back, I was helping my trainer deal with a horse who wasn't recovering well from dental sedation. He was basically just super drowsy-loopy, but he was getting older and it had been a while since it should have been out of his system, so I was holding onto him for her while she put in the vet call and finished up some other business. We were outside at the time (it was a nice day, and having him out by the barn instead of inside it, she could supervise him AND the rest of her kingdom), so once the vet got back to her, we needed to move him back into a stall. And just as we got him into the entrance, he drunky-wobbled, picked his left front hoof up as high as possible (did I mention this was a Saddlebred barn?), and then slammed it down on MY foot as hard as possible. Not his fault, he was Mr Drunky-Wobbles and we were worried about him, but he didn't STEP on my foot, he STOMPED on it.

(And I think the worst part, really, was A) He was not yet back in a stall and therefore still in my hand, and B) It's a family barn and students were still there, all of which meant I couldn't drop to the ground and roll around screaming every symbol on the top row of keys, which was what I really, really needed to do.)

Anyway, I thought sure I was going to get home and my boot was going to be full of blood. That was how much it hurt. The only barn accident I've had that hurt more was the one where I *know* I broke a bone (had surgery for that one), and I've done some stupid hurty things. >_< But I got home and peeled everything off, and there was no blood and no swelling and not even really a bruise. There was maybe a very tiny maybe-lump, but nothing that screamed, "Oh my god, you need to go to the hospital right now!", so my mom said about the same thing - "Even if it's broken, what are they going to do, tape a popsical stick to it?" (Mind you, I do have PTSD related specifically to medical trauma, so any time we can eliminate the doctor/hospital for the sake of keeping me calm, that's pretty much the route we go.)

And it was that way for a couple of days - hurt like nnnff, but it never did turn colours or puff up or anything else, so even though I wasn't keen about walking on it, I went ahead and went back to the barn and had my next lesson, because that's not the part of my foot that's going to be in the stirrup anyway, right? Pain'll teach me to keep my toes in the right place! And I was fine for the whole lesson. And then I dismounted, and as soon as that foot hit the ground -

I felt the toe pop back into place. X__x And I mean, you know, I can't be SURE it was the world's tiniest dislocation since I'm no doctor and I didn't have one look at it, but it got a whole lot better after that. It hasn't given me any long-term problems, at least, unless you count that I can't crack that toe like I can most of my other joints anymore. But I feel like yeah, maybe let's not do that again. lol.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.