1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

how long for recovery after gelding?

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by FriesianSH, Nov 17, 2010.

1. FriesianSH

FriesianSH Senior Member

I am starting to smell a rat in all of this guys. I will keep you all updated in what I end up doing.

2. trish12

trish12 Senior Member+

Hope it isn't a bad rat..... :( something going on that shouldn't be..... PLEASE keep up updated !!!!

3. jumpergirl221

jumpergirl221 Senior Member+

Depending on his behavior, usually 3-6 months IME.

Honestly though, it might be the better decision considering his breeding. I'm not sure how much of a market there would be for a crossbred friesian, and what type of mare base you would be attracting.

Isn't he crossed with a TB and appy?

4. FriesianSH

FriesianSH Senior Member

no offense but I did not ask for an opinion on this. :mad:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  5. trish12

trish12 Senior Member+

why not??? could attract all sorts of mares.. People are looking for different types out there...

6. FriesianSH

FriesianSH Senior Member

thanks Trish

and they are a very popular cross actually, especially in the MN area. But again, I did not post this to get into a breeding conversation so lets stick to the topic at hand.

I am not having him castrated yet anyway, I have come up with a solution that will have me handling him only and I want to see this "bad boy" attitude for myself and be the judge:wink:. He truly does not put a hoof out of line with me except for occasional goofy stuff that all horses will do (and young horses at that) and he quickly cuts it out when boss mare here tells him it is not acceptable.