how long for recovery after gelding?

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by FriesianSH, Nov 17, 2010.

1. FriesianSH

FriesianSH Senior Member

Well, my stallion has shown some very unwanted behavior as of late and I believe that gelding him is going to be the answer. It is going to be a little while before I can get him campaigned enough for breedings.

I am curious, what is the usual recovery time when gelding? How soon after the surgery can he return to work?
    When will I notice that dip in his behavior?

It truly kills me I am possibly facing this:( but I feel it is the safest choice for the people who are around him daily (as well as myself).

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010

2. trish12

trish12 Senior Member+

You know I just had my almost 9 month old colt gelded last week and he is doing wonderfully..His swelling lasted maybe 3 days..He is still draining but he is bucking and running around like nothing happened...As long as you do everything the vet asks you to do for him...swelling he should be ok with in a week I would think..How old is he? Not sure if that plays a factor in it at all though !! :wink: :wink:

3. FriesianSH

FriesianSH Senior Member

that is good to hear, glad he is doing well.

Valour is 4 :)

4. trish12

trish12 Senior Member+

Oh not too bad then... he should be ok..Jut walk him every day for 20 minutes and even trot him..that will help with stiffness and swelling...Make sure he is draining properly as well...dripping not a steady stream !!!! It is easy..heck peace of cake...sorry you have to make this discision though.....:( How is he acting? Agressively?? well if you do it should change his attitude and be a better riding horse !!!! :rolleyez: never an easy choice to make if he is a money maker for you...or you are planning on him being one for you and your farm... sorry (((HUGS)))

5. CheyAut

CheyAut Senior Member+

Exercise is part of the recovery, you're supposed to work them starting the day after. I've never had one broke gelded before (just minis and those too young to ride) but I would think (ask your vet) riding would be perfect.

As to how long it will take him to be a gelding in the temperment department, that will take months.

6. FriesianSH

FriesianSH Senior Member

He has done little things here and there but yesterday he reared up being silly (not mean so I was told) but he struck the barn owners husband in the back (and he is a big guy). To me that is something that could lead him down the wrong road. He was going to be my breeding stallion, and I really wanted to see what kind of offspring he would have so this just breaks my heart BUT I don't want him to do something like that again and it be me or the barn owner herself. The BO's husband said he was not being mean at all, he was being goofy but I just have to think that he could break my bones or BO's bones doing that to be "goofy" again.

I work him a lot, and he gets plenty of turn out but I guess until he could be collected it just is not enough of an outlet for him.

7. iwannafoal

iwannafoal Senior Member

Be very careful with working him right after surgery. A stallion at my barn was gelded last year at 2 years of age and the next day he was turned out to play and ended up herniating his intestines out of his incision site from the gelding surgery. It was horrible. He was euthanized about an hour later but it is the most horrific thing I have ever seen. I don't know if it was because he was running around too soon after surgery or because of some other complication, but please be careful!

8. trish12

trish12 Senior Member+

Humm...yopu know I found that if my mare acts that way when I take her to turn her out I smack her across the chest with my lead.(and I hate to smack them).and she learns that that behavior is not accectable for me..and ever sense then she walks nicely even though my youngster is bucking and pitching a fit right next to her.. she feeds off that from others and wants to act that way so I just told her enough of that I AM the boss here not you and she will and has been walking good sense..and before we head out her corral gate I pop the halter once...She has it in her to go I can tell but she is holding back enough til I let her lose to do it..maybe try something like that and maybe he will behave for you..:confused:

9. MysticsAbi

MysticsAbi Senior Member+

Ive always been told trotting=healing! It helps keep/get the swelling down and keeps the blood flowing, but from what i remember when we had a 5 year old done at the farm I lived on when I was little he wasnt suppose to canter+ for a few days!

10. luvmymosey

luvmymosey Senior Member+

My moms horse was gelded at the age 17 and he was returned to riding a week after. Of course with walking around everyday to keep himself moving.