How long do you keep your horses tail?

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by kaitybug, Mar 3, 2012.

1. kaitybug

kaitybug Senior Member

I was just curious on what length every keeps their horses tail at. This is a picture of Lizzie from last season with a borrowed fake tail in. I believe her tail is a little longer now and my fake tail is pretty long. I show western pleasure and hunt seat so do you think it's too long? I am thinking I am going to have to trim both her and my fake tail. So opinions on what I should do and photos of your horses tails are welcome thanks:)
    [​IMG]

2. Jess!

Jess! Senior Member+

As long as I can. Alas, Vogue has a skimpy, skimpy tail so it's not too long :(

3. stephanie

stephanie Senior Member+

Z, as long as I can. He's an appy with a very skimpy tail, lol, though I have gotten it longer over the past several years, it's probably somewhere in the top half of his cannon bone. Mica I like it as long as it can be without risking him stepping on it when he backs up. I keep it probably a few inches off the ground. I think it looks better that way since he holds his tail up when he's moving, it looks like it goes to his hocks, haha.

4. XxLiveToRidexX

XxLiveToRidexX Senior Member+

Imp's stays as long as it can without touching the ground, so I trim it up every once in awhile.

5. morgansrule08

morgansrule08 Senior Member

Mac's tail is a few inches shorter than Lizzie's. He is only used for pleasure riding so it really wouldn't matter if it was short or long, but it is so long, thick and beautiful that I could never bring myself to do anything to it but square it off at the bottom once and a while. Roxy's tail was nearly dragging on the ground, but there were SOOO many burrs that I just had to cut it.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. APHAPtHA

APHAPtHA Senior Member

To the OP I like the length just how it is! :p

Here is my mares tail! When I first got her it was only to her hocks. After keeping it clean, and bagged or vet wrapped for two years this is the result. And yes that is all real hair! :D
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. Huntseat

Huntseat Senior Member+

No such thing as a too-long tail!

[​IMG]

This is a friend's mare - Mine used to have a tail like this, and we're hard at work getting it back to this point :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
    7 people like this.
  8. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member+

^^ agreed!! Fezzer's tail drags on the ground, though not the extend that Kinta's does!

9. Bernardo

Bernardo Senior Member+

I cut Maggie's tail much the length of morgansrules grey horse up there. I show reining, and she has a tendency to pull tail out when backing and stopping, so it gets kept short.

10. nixalba

nixalba Senior Member+

lol, agreed. As long as I can get it! My mare's tail used to reach her fetlocks but she doesn't take very cook care of it, so I've been bagging it to see if it will grow back out.