Featured How long can a horse gallop?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by BlueDiamond, Jan 21, 2008.

1. BlueDiamond

BlueDiamond Senior Member

My dad is watching a western and it shows a horse and rider galloping away. He asked me how long a horse can run at that pace. And i'm really not sure. I mean asuming it's a horse that was rode everyday for most of the day (Like they were back then) I would think it could go for a while. I figured maybe kinda like an endurance horse?? I really don't know.

What do you all think?

2. PNHPlatinum

PNHPlatinum Senior Member+

I've gone quite aways with my boy and he wasn't in the greatest shape and he was going the fastest we'd ever seen him fly!! and it wasn't flat there was corners and hills!! i bet we went at least 10 minutes and no breaks at all!

3. equinelover

equinelover Senior Member+

It depends on a few things, mainly: the fitness of the horse, level of training, smoothness of the trail, road, course; how heavy the rider is, etc.
    For example, a very fit, fully trained racehorse can go 1 1/2 miles at full gallop on a flat race course with a light weight rider. Put him a hilly course or have a heavyweight rider and it's a different story. If you're looking for exact times, do a search for horse racing records.
    Most endurance horses are trained to trot for long periods although some can gallop for extended periods especially on a flat course.

4. Care To Jazz?

Care To Jazz? Senior Member+

Trotting is easier for a horse than galloping. But a well-condioned horse can go quite a ways at a gallop. I don't think there's a specific distance though, totally depends on the horse/rider/ground/condition etc

5. GingerSnap

GingerSnap Senior Member+

Somewhere in either Nebraska or Wyoming off the beaten path is a monument in honor of a Throughbred horse who ran either 600 or 800 miles it took 3 days and the horse was not rested at all. Something to do with the war back in the pioneer days. I will try to find the picture I took of that monument it's was so incredible to read.

Oh and the horse did die of exhaustion.

6. MidnightStarr

MidnightStarr Senior Member+

like everyone else said it all depends :]

7. Temposmom

Temposmom Senior Member+

With conditioning, HOURS and HOURS... The longest I've personally galloped (not full run, just faster then a lope) was about 10 miles straight, did about 35 out of 50 miles in the gallop. At the end he tried to pull my arms out of my sockets to beat two others at a full "race", which he did win. LOL Now days, you might get 3 miles at a time out of me, THIS horse is a different ride. :p

8. Temposmom

Temposmom Senior Member+

Here you go, and they didn't trot this the whole way...FOR SURE!!

Omair Husain Al Bloushi riding Charlandre El Shari are first to complete the Al Maktoum Cup.

With an official ride time of 6:28:28 and an average overall speed of 24.71km/hr (and 30.29 km/hr on the last 19km loop!!!)

AND after running 160km in 6:28:28, with a 30+km/hr run on the last 19km of the race -- the horse pulses in with a 49 bpm pulse.

Pictures and other stories of the race are here (US wasn't invited this time):

http://www.endurance.net/internation...aktoum/#images

9. Friesiangirl

Friesiangirl Senior Member+

Stormy and I went 11 miles from one stretch of beach to another, flat out. It didn't take too long either. He just needed 5-10 minutes of walking to restore his breath, and we ran back. BUT it was nice terrain, and well... he was a very fit ARAB. At that time we could trot through the coastal moutains of oregon for hours. I don't know the distance. Now, he is out of shape, but some of his fitness still shines through. If I get his heart rate up he still has very quick recovery compared to other horses who have been out of work.

Hayley

10. BlueDiamond

BlueDiamond Senior Member

Thanks for all the help. I'll pass it on to him.