How long after waxing will my mare foal

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by camhorses, Mar 18, 2013.

1. camhorses

camhorses Full Member

My mare is 343 days today and I just went out to check on her and I noticed that there was somthing dripping from her teats. I got a little closer and noticed that it looked like candle wax dripping off. There wasnt anything this morning when I looked that was around 7:30 and it was 9:00 when I was just out there. So I was wondering if anyone knows when she might foal having the TRUE waxing.

2. Driller

Driller Senior Member+

I would start watching her......any time now she will foal. All mares are different......in fact all births are different.

3. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Are you testing her milk? That's a more reliable predictor than wax.

4. camhorses

camhorses Full Member

No Im not testing her milk. We live out in the middle of BFE and its an hour to town. SO we are just playing by ear and taking advice.

5. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Ok - then as said, I would not be leaving her alone at any time, and it's pretty much time to start camping by her stall :)

6. camhorses

camhorses Full Member

lol ok bring on the sleepless nights! UGH

7. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

A fairly inexpensive option for now is a baby monitor, assuming you are close enough to the stall (is she at home, or boarded?). That will let you stay in your own bed but monitor noises, which will become fairly different if she's starting to foal

8. camhorses

camhorses Full Member

She is about 80 feet from the house. Will she make enough noise for me to hear though?

9. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Moaning and groaning when she goes down, water breaking? Yep :)

10. camhorses

camhorses Full Member

She has been soft around the tail for about a week now and her vulva is saggy, just not sure how saggy it needs to be but I noticed a change. Her bag was HUGE and tight but now it has gone down a little bit ( this was about a week ago) it was bigger then any I found online. Now it is normal looking and has wax. She isnt finishing her hay from this morning I fed at 7:30 and it is noon now. She is a little cranky today and dont want me rubbing her sides or her bag. Her head is hanging low and she looks killer tired (Im sure she is). Now Her one teat is waxed up and a good size wax chunk there and the other looks like it had wax but it fell off or something. But I was wondering about the color, it is clear ( the side that has no wax I gave a squeeze to see) like not a homey color but a little more like dirty creek water kinda color. Any how What can you tell from the color of the milk, are we farther then we think we are yet?