How had I never heard of this AWESOME sport before?! (Ride and Tie)

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by Acornicus, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Acornicus

Acornicus Senior Member

I was looking up info on endurance and found Ride and Tie, does this not look like SO MUCH fun?! Unfortunately there don't appear to be any R&T races in NZ but I would love to hear from anyone who has taken part in one!

For the others who have not heard of the sport before, it's basically endurance in teams of three (two riders and one horse). You take turns 'leapfrogging' along the track, with one riding the horse ahead and then tying them to a tree and continuing on foot, while the other rider runs to catch up and jumps on the horse when they reach them.

Do you train specifically for the running?
    How often do you swap with your partner?
    What got you into the sport?
    How much did it suck trying to run with jelly legs from riding? LOL
    Did you find it gave you more empathy for your horse when you had to run as well as be carried?

All photos and any stories are much appreciated so I can live vicariously through you! :rofl:
    :running::willynilly:

Ride and Tie Frequently Asked Questions

2. pamnbam

pamnbam Senior Member

I'd love to try it, too! I do run from time to time and it seems like a great way to both run and enjoy horses!

3. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I heard about it when I first got back into horses and got a lot of different horse magazines. Never actually seen one though.

4. savethewhaley

savethewhaley Senior Member

Omg!!! This looks like too much fun... Don't think it'd be very popular where I live though...

5. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I'm familiar with it, there are a few Ride & ties in Tennessee, but I can't nail down a partner to do it with me. I'm not a good runner, but I have ridden a lot of endurance rides and know how fun it can be to finish!!!!

6. pamnbam

pamnbam Senior Member

@endurgirl I'm in N. Alabama and might be able to partner with you for an EASY course in TN. I've never ridden endurance but have run a few 5Ks.

endurgirl likes this.
  7. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

That looks fun! Haha

8. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

I've never heard of that, looks like fun!!

Although that video was kind of annoying haha. I skipped through it and every time I would hit play I would hear either "Woohoo!", "Yeah!" or "Ride and tie!" hahaha.

9. JKetsche

JKetsche Senior Member

How do you manage footwear?

10. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

You ride in tennis shoes. That's the only way I rode endurance anyway, was in my tennis shoes, just in case my horse hit the wall and I needed to walk.