How do you remove rust off bits?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by mymareInTheCash, Feb 4, 2011.

1. mymareInTheCash

mymareInTheCash Full Member

The title ask it all. Thanks

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member+

Well, no, it doesn't say it all. Is it a sweet iron bit? Those rust and are supposed to.

Is it a chrome bit? Those peel and rust so once they start peeling, I toss them.

Is it just a bit of surface rust on the cheeks of a steel bit? Then very fine sandpaper or a steel wool pad will take it off.

3. horselover227

horselover227 Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2015
  4. crayon

crayon Senior Member+

I would avoid using CLR on it. I'd be worried about it getting in the horse's mouth no matter how much you try to rinse it off after. I think I heard lemon works well. I've also heard good things about club soda. lol.

But like MNT said, if it's peeling and rusting, it's not worth trying to save.

5. Eve

Eve Senior Member

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but Manes, why are sweet irons supposed to rust?

6. crayon

crayon Senior Member+

That certain metal tastes good to many horses when it rusts.

7. Shoney

Shoney Senior Member+

I just did this lol. Take the bit and put it in a bowl so it lays pretty flat. Fill the bowl with vinegar so the whole bit is submerged. Leave it to soak for 24 hours. Come back, rinse it off, and use steel wool or sandpaper to get what you can get off, then soak it for another 24 hours, and come back and get the rest. Does depend on the bit though. Make sure you wash it off with Dawn or a grease fighting soap or run it through the dishwasher to get the vinegar taste off.

8. Twisted Fate

Twisted Fate Full Member

Rubbing the bit with steel wool has worked well for me.

9. anheiraboutme

anheiraboutme Senior Member+

I second steel wool!

Sweet iron keeps the horse's mouth moist and encourages salivation. Copper also does this and usually does not rust. For cleaning copper bits I use lemon juice or ketchup. Let them soak in it overnight and rinse off. The copper looks new!! This might help for rust too but I've never tried it.

In my opinion, if a bit rusts it should be sweet iron (expected/made to rust). If it isn't sweet iron I wouldn't use it because who knows what kind of metal it is and could have rough spots that could irritate the horse's mouth.

10. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member+

You can use Apple Cider Vinegar. Horses LOVE it and, it's good for them. So, if you don't get it all rinsed off, that's all the better.