How do you feel about the bible, or other religious book?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mooselady, Mar 11, 2019.

1. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

I have been asking myself this since the press covered ‘45’ signing bibles, and I was a little shocked, and that confused me, because I am not overly religious. I was raised as a church goer, I guess some of it remains because I find myself not liking the thought of someone scribbling their name across one with little or no thought.

The list of names written in a family bible, no problems, the bible that I was given at my confirmation has a message from, and was signed by our minister at the time. A bible intended as a gift, I can see being written in, but it just makes me uncomfortable to see it written on so lightly.

Now I’m wondering if I would feel the same about the holy book of any other religion being signed by travelling politician or maybe pop star, and while I know I should, I don’t.

So while prompted by an action by ‘45’ that is admitted, I really do not want yet another discussion about him, more about any celebrity signing a holy book....and would help to know if you have any religious convictions that shape your view...

2. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

They are books of stories, just like most any other work of fiction.

RG NIGHT HEIR likes this.
  3. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

An author,signing a book they wrote,is to be prized.
    Someone scribbling their name on anothers writing,I don't like(gotta admit,I dislike anything Da'Cheeto does.. anything!)

ginster and billz like this.
  4. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

I'm not overly religious either, but I admit that this bible-signing bothered me. Not just because of who signed it in this case, but I don't think any holy book should be signed 'lightly,' including celebrities, politicians etc. I actually can't imagine a genuinely religious person allowing their book to be signed in this manner, although that is my own prejudice speaking. I think many people consider their holy books to be special, and I think that truly respecting those tomes would mean not utilizing them as an impromptu autograph book. Having said that, it's the choice of an individual to do what they choose, even if it seems sacrilegious to me.

5. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

I'm not religious.

But I can respect that the Bible or any other holy script is a sacred piece of it's specific religion and shouldn't be tarnished.

6. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

So how do you view books in general.....I have a collection of 100’s of books that I never read, but I don’t know what to do with them....some of them are good enough to donate, some are not, but can’t bear the thought of disposing of them.....I mean they’re BOOKS.

peg4x4 likes this.
  7. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

That is another thing to think on....choice of the individual

NaeNae likes this.
  8. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I find it a weird thing to do but I don't really find it offensive. If it's not offensive to the person who owns it, who am I to judge?

bsaz, equinitis and RG NIGHT HEIR like this.
  9. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

It’s a toss up to me —— the piece of horse poop signing a Bible, or the people who wanted him to do so.

Which is worse? Got me, I think it’s a tie.

ginster, peg4x4 and tlwidener like this.
  10. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Books are books. Some are factual, some are not. Some are worth preservation, some are not.