how do you clean a suede seat??

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Two Socks, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Two Socks

Two Socks Full Member

I just bought a new saddle that has a suede seat. I really don't like them to much but this one is pretty comfortable. There is a problem tho. I have only used it a couple of times but the times that i do use it it leaves my jeans a dark red tint on them. It comes out when i wash them but is there anyway to clean it so it doesn't "bleed" (so to speak) off onto my jeans. :confused:

2. LuckyAshley

LuckyAshley Senior Member+

Hmmm... never heard of that. Is the saddle a fairly cheap brand? I don't know of much that you can do to fix it... probably just have to deal with it until it breaks in.
    -Ashley

3. PaintedPNH

PaintedPNH Senior Member+

get a seat saver? lol There is no way to clean suede that i know of.

4. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Suede is cleaned with a brass brush, basically. You could try going over it with that, to comb out loose fibers. And/ or rub it pretty hard with a towel, again to pickup loose color/ fibers. You might find the right kind of brass brush in a shoe store or one for leather cleaner. BBQ brush is probably too stiff.

5. POA

POA Senior Member

I always just grabbed a clean stiff brush and go over it a few times.

6. Two Socks

Two Socks Full Member

It is just a number saddle. I got it at a horse sale. It was new but it is nothing real expensive. I just wanted another saddle for my son to be able to sit on and not slide out as easy. He is only 18 months and he always slides out of my other saddle cause it is all leather. I will try some of the things that you mentioned thanks for your suggestions.

7. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member

It's the dye coming off of it, not dirt. So, basically no way to fix it. It happens with cheap leather whether it's suede or not.