1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

How do you "bang" a tail?

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by Arabians Rule!!, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Tatooed Lady

Tatooed Lady Senior Member+

some people prefer long and natural, but I love the look of a nicely banged tail, especially on a stockier cob-type or draft... :)

2. AtomicPenny

AtomicPenny Banned

I bang my guys at his fetlocks, his tail is nice and thick the whole length. If the tail is thinner at the bottom, they get banged shorter so that it will still be thick at the ends. You want to bang a thoroughly washed, completely dry combed out tail. Do not do it when it's damp...you'll completely regret it haha. As it dries parts will get longer, parts will get shorter, slightly curl, uncurl...it won't be straight, it'll look like it was done with a weedwacker haha. And yeah, have someone hold out the tail a tad. When you work with their tails a lot of horses get an iron grip and suck their dock right into their bum if you bang it like that, once they're relaxed or working it'll make the bottom crooked.

Karen

3. jumpthemoon

jumpthemoon Senior Member+

Arabians Rule

Are you going to show your 24 year old Arabian? If so; then I am pretty sure you do NOT want to bang his tail. Arabian's are shown with a natural tail; not a banged tail. Just a thought. ;)

4. Arabians Rule!!

Arabians Rule!! Senior Member

jumpthemoon-

yeah, thats a good point. I thought that banging the tail was were you clipped it into a natural looking tail. Maybe thats called something different than 'banging' a tail?

5. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

If you want to keep a more natural look but make the tail shorter. Take a pair of scissors perpendicular to the tail and cut up in to it. Make small quick cuts up into the tail until it's where you want it to be. Just take your time and do the same thing with lifting the tail bone while you cut.

6. nixalba

nixalba Senior Member

I prefer to bang a tail with electric clippers. Scissors can sometimes leave a choppy uneven look.

Also, I banged my filly's tail without lifting it. I just ran my hand around her tail down to the bottom and clipped it! Turned out well.

7. jumper87

jumper87 Registered

your banging your arabs tail?

8. jumper87

jumper87 Registered

sorry im new i only read the first page :blushing:

9. StockHorseGirl

StockHorseGirl Senior Member+

I read somewhere that if you are going to braid the tail you don't bang it...is that true?

10. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

You mean if you're going to braid it for a show right? Well no that's not true. We bang a lot of our show horses tails. It helps make the tail look thick and healthy. We just don't bang it super short or anything, usually leave it right around the fetlock. The only time banging a tail isn't appropriate is for some breeds, like arabs, where they are to be shown with a natural tail.