How do you "bang" a tail?

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by Arabians Rule!!, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Arabians Rule!!

Arabians Rule!! Senior Member

My geldings tail is there, but i bag it so its ok for now, but its slowly getting closer to show season, so for future reference, how do you do it? Step by step pictures would be AWESOME!

2. StormysGirl

StormysGirl Senior Member

Found this by Googling.... it's out of some book:
    [​IMG]

3. HUS_WP_lovr

HUS_WP_lovr Senior Member+

When I "bang" my horses tail. I just cut straight across where it is. I dont make it ^^^ that short.

4. ShowJumper23

ShowJumper23 Senior Member+

Yeah, I'll occasionally trim an inch or two off of Beowulf's tail....just to keep it from it being un even and stepped on....

5. Arabians Rule!!

Arabians Rule!! Senior Member

oh so you just cut straight accross? lol oh that sounds easy ;)

watch, after i do it, i'll come on here and post a picture saying how i accidentaly cut off half of my horses tail lol

6. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator

Yes...PLEASE though...lift the dock of your horses tail up a little while you are cutting. A horse naturally lifts the tail when working so if you banged it while it was tight against the bum, when he goes and DOES lift it to get moving, it will look uneven.

7. riderofthehorse

riderofthehorse Senior Member

There was a whole article on that in HI, if you have access to that. I want to say the November issue, but I'm not sure. Sometime around then though.

8. riderofthehorse

riderofthehorse Senior Member

ooh. that's really smart. and should be common sense but i wouldn't have thought of that :rolleyes:

9. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member+

I was taught to have someone put an arm under the tail up near the top of the bone to lift more like the horse does when their working. And then you have another person just trim straight across at the same level as the fetlock. But the exact length is up to you.

As HJ said if you just cut it straight across when they are standing with their tail relax, it won't look right when they are working. So you want to be sure to lift the tail a bit.

10. showing_qween

showing_qween Full Member

What i do is run my hand down the tail firmly smoothing it out as i go along then with a sharp pair of scissors cut straight across with the back ever so slightly shorter and clip the sides slightly.

The tail is cut shorter because a long tail could be used to hide any defects.