How do they Lip Tattoo a horse?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Vyshtia, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Vyshtia

Vyshtia Full Member

I was wondering if anyone here knows how the Lip Tattoo process is done on horses. Specifically, what type of equipment is used. I know that the horse is not sedated, just twitched...and I know the tattoo pliers used for livestock (and this is NOT used on horses)...but I can't picture how it's done on the horses.

If anyone could help, I'd appreciate it! Thank you!

2. 2manypetz

2manypetz Senior Member

I dont know how they do it, we have a standardbred that is lip tatooed, i do know that now they do not do that anymore on the STB, they freezebrand. I dont knwo about TB. I will see if i can get some info.

3. Vyshtia

Vyshtia Full Member

Thank you, I would appreciate it. It would also be interesting to know how they do the lip tattoo with a lip twitch on as well....

4. tbtrainer

tbtrainer Senior Member+

They use a special twitch that holds the entire lip inside out (or turned up)...[​IMG]

One letter or number is dipped in ink, and pushed in...repeat in a line untill all are finished. The letters or numbers are made up of tiny prongs.

The horses are not sedated, and it really doesnt look like it bothers them much...I did have one filly lay down when the first one was pushed in...and I did feel bad for her!

5. Vyshtia

Vyshtia Full Member

thank you! ahh...that makes a lot more sense that they have a special kind of lip twitch! LOL I'm surprised that they stand still without sedation for this procedure!