How do Saxon and Weatherbeeta blankets compare?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by mygirl1197, Oct 18, 2011.

1. mygirl1197

mygirl1197 Senior Member+

Sep 15, 2008
    I know Saxon is the lower end blankets made by Weatherbeeta. Do they run the same size wise? Is the length of the drop the same on both?

I just donated my daughter's horses old Saxon blanket to a horse rescue out here. The blanket was too long for him, and the blanket didn't drop low enough to cover his chest and belly.
  2. Cheese183

Cheese183 Senior Member

Dec 5, 2010
    I think Saxons run a bit on the small side.WBs seem to run a bit truer/a little bigger like some of the other companies.
  3. Scooterboy

Scooterboy Senior Member

Oct 28, 2006
    I haven't found the saxons to fit bigger horses well....they are alot shorter and the horses look like they are wearing skirts! LOL Just ordered 2 WB landas....but they came in really big! ( I already have like 10 of them).... I ordered the same sizes the horses were currently wearing ( 78 and 81).... but they were HUGE! the 78" in now on our big 17H Danish boy.... so I think the new Weatherbeetas are running even bigger than normal.
  4. Long Leaf

Long Leaf Senior Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    I can't stand the Saxon's. They're cut straight along the back so they just don't "form fit" and they're WAY to short in the sides. I like the McAllister brand from Horseloverz MUCH better than the Saxon's and they're about the same price.

WB's were pretty chintzy when they first came out and my blankets rarely lasted more than a season or two, but they seem to be much better made now days.
  5. Shannon

Shannon Senior Member+

Dec 1, 2005
    Same experience with the Saxons. Cut straight across, and expect the belly to hang out something fierce :wink:

Long Leaf, interesting that you like the McAllisters! I tried one of the lightweight (100gm) fill ones and it was atrocious. The drop was longer, but the neck "hole" was TINY and the space for the shoulders was minimal. The tail flap was also about 3x bigger than I'm used to ;)

I bought an Amigo sheet and will likely never go back. The fit is PERFECT for a large bodied type (16.1h Dutch WB with massive shoulders and very wide through the belly) and it's going on its third winter in perfect condition.
  6. BayHorseLuv

BayHorseLuv Senior Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Saxons fit narrower horses such as tb's or slim ponie crosses. They are not good for those big bellied horses because they use less material for Saxon's. Saxons are easy to fit and tue to size. I had a 600denier that lasted a while.
    Weatherbeetas run a size larger than true size. Most models are good. I had some 1200d rip from average hose bites though. Wouldn't say their 1200d is that great. Other blankets such as rambo hold up longer.
  7. Roleysnewmom

Roleysnewmom Senior Member+

Jul 15, 2009
    I agree with BHL. I have a Saxon fleece blankie for Roley and it is the ONLY blanket that's in his measurement that actually fits him. He is definitely a narrower horse though. I also have a weatherbeeta, same measurement that is HUGE on Roley. The neck hole is gapig huge and not in the right spot for his more upright NSH neck. The straps/surcingles also did not adjust tight enough tocome close to fitting. All in all that sheet hung off him. If I ever order weatherbeeta again I will get at least 2 sizes smaller than usual.

Funny shannon, I bought an Amigo fly sheet and am very pleased with the fit too. Mare iswide and Roley is narrow.. I guess Amigo is where it's at!
    1 person likes this.
  8. Lise

Lise Senior Member+

May 23, 2009
    Weatherbeeta's run HUGE. Definitely order a full 3" sizing down from what your horse typically wears.

The "drop" is much lower on the Weatherbeeta.

I wasn't overly impressed with how the material held up on the 1200d Orican I ordered though. If I was going to try one again I would try their ballistic nylon blanket (I believe it is the Taka).

I sound like such a broken record but Rambo (also fits large) really has been the most indestructible I have had!! And the Amigo line is great for fit too if your horse isn't that hard on blankets. Rambo also runs a size larger than Amigo though. I don't know why these companies can't keep it consistent.
  9. arabfan

arabfan Senior Member

May 24, 2011
    I agree with what everyone else is saying and since I own both a Saxon and several Weatherbettas I could compare the Saxon is cut weird just like the others said its odd on the sides its too short the Weatherbettas are cut full and large I love those they have worked well for me. I doubt I would buy another Saxon.
  10. CessBee

CessBee Senior Member+

Nov 27, 2008
    I have two saxon 600 180gm combo rugs for winter and they are brilliant, one is 5 seasons old, the other 3. Still water proof and still all in one piece. Fit my TB mare and my old boy. They were both 15.2ish and wore the 4'6" (nz size) so that is a 54" and 5'9" UK
    Never owned a weatherbeeta.