How do I tell if I broke my toe or just sprained it?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bernardo, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Bernardo

Bernardo Senior Member

So yesterday this wall jumped out at my foot and I stubbed it really hard. It swelled up was really sore. I iced it a few times last night, hobbled around.

Today its sore, I can touch it though most of the time without pain, its more when I stretch my baby toe out it hurts. Sometimes if I more my foot around it hurts. I can put my weight on that part of my foot if I just set my foot down, however when I walk it hurts to even put weight on it.

It has bruised a little bit, not really dark because I already injured it once when I was younger and it went completely black and since then it doesn't bend like my other one does anyways.

I'm pretty just its just a sprain or pulled liagments or something because I did slam it hard. I don't think someone could stub their toe harder/louder then I did ahha. But is there a way to tell if its broken or not?

I've heard a sprained foot hurts more then a broken foot, and I'm not in a lot of pain but I do get pain when I try and use/move it a lot.

2. all4him

all4him Senior Member

I like to play "touch the bone from the other side" to see if there are breaks. Touch the bone away from the injury (so you're not touching the injured tissue) to see if it's still painful. A broken bone will usually be painful if touched from any direction.

Even if it is broken, unless it's displaced, all you can really do is to tape the toe and wear good shoes to support the foot for now. My husband injured his toe badly and even after surgery, that's all they did - tape it.

Sorry you got hurt! It's amazing how such a little tiny part of our body can scream so loudly, isn't it??

3. Qtina

Qtina Senior Member

Probably the only way to tell "for sure" is to get an x-ray.

But - like it was already said - all they do is tape it anyway. My horse stepped on my foot and literally broke the tip completely off and all they did was tape it.

I do think they told me to ice it to get the swelling down because it swelled up so big that the skin broke open. I had to get a tetanus shot because of that. But it doesn't sound like you have that problem.

I can't think of much else except I kept it elevated and took advil for the the pain.

Broken toes can hurt a lot - but there really isn't much you can do except tape it to another toe.

Hope you feel better soon.

4. draftlover

draftlover Senior Member+

An x-ray is the only way to know for sure, but as mentioned above, they will not do anything for a broken toe other than tape it to another one.

I'd just keep ice on it for the 1st 24 hours.

5. Bernardo

Bernardo Senior Member

Thanks you two!

At least the intial pain subsided ahha. Also good I have a week before I have to return to school where I do a lot more walking during the day so my foot can heal itself ahha.

I've touched around the bone, not to much I'll try more later and haven't had A LOT of pain so that's a good sign. It's a little bit swollen still around the tender areas but my whole toe isnt. Another good sign :)

I guess I'll just have to take it easy on my foot lol

6. lizannk88

lizannk88 Full Member

if you are still having problems with it in about a week i would say get an x-ray done. my mom stubbed her baby toe on a door jam once and cracked it into her joint. that one they actually put her in an air boot for it was really funny she is the only person that i know that can stub their toe and have to be in a boot for 6 weeks

7. 4kids

4kids Senior Member+

The only broken bone I have ever had was my toe,lol. Stubbed it on a play pen of all things. Turned some lovely purple colors but didn't go to the Doc, not much they can do but tell you to be careful,lol.

8. Bernardo

Bernardo Senior Member

Mines just starting to bruise and it happened just about 24 hours ago.

9. katyrides

katyrides Senior Member

Sometimes they can't tell from an xray if it's broken..I had my foot fractured by my horse and it was swollen for WEEKS..I had to wear a boot even though they couldn't see any breaks.
    A week after the swelling went done, I ended up in the ER with a bunch of internal brusies and sprains from taking a nasty fall...hahaha. Whoops.

10. all4him

all4him Senior Member

Gotcha beat. My husband stubbed his toe - and had the bone pop out OF THE SKIN!!!! Yep - totally took the whole bone out of his toe. But they put it back in during a quick surgery in the ER and he was wrapped up with an ace bandage for about 8 weeks (non-weightbearing). This was back in October and he's absolutely fine now.