Featured How do I measure a horse for saddle size?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by itoshii/, Jan 24, 2007.

1. itoshii/

itoshii/ Senior Member

I was just wondering if any of you guys knew good ways to measure a horse for a saddle (english), because i was thinking of getting a saddle but i need to know the right sizes lol...

2. Sue B

Sue B Senior Member+

Here's a site that should be helpful:
    Measuring For Good Saddle Fit
    Some people use a wire clothes hanger and then transfer the info to a tracing on carboard so the shape is not lost.

Having delt with this type of fitting guide many times I can say that it isn't the best method...there really are not "good" methods for determining size...except to take the horse to the tack shop or get a loaner saddle or borrow a friend's and see how it fits and go from there. While the gullet width is a primary concern....there are just so many more factors that need consideration. Additinoally, you not only have to fit the horse, you have to fit yourself. While that is not quite as difficult as fitting the horse....it can be very different for different people. Simply knowing the size seat you need is not enough. Without sitting in the saddle that you want, you won't know if that model will work for you. Even within the same companies, each model has a different configuation for the seat....and therfore fits the same rider very differently...and may seat you very differently...makeing one model more comfotable and balanced than another.

3. itoshii/

itoshii/ Senior Member

Thanks ill check that site out...another thing is, what is a gullet width?

4. bluejay

bluejay Senior Member

A lot of tack shops now "rent out" (in my case I paid $10 bucks and got it returned when I brought it back, but you can also buy them and a lot of places straight up rent them) various tools to help fit saddles. An example of one by wintec is Wintec Easy Measure Saddle Gullet Gauge - English Horse Tack at Dover Saddlery for the gullets, but if you inquire at your local tack shop I'm sure they can help you out :)

5. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Keep in mind that the Wintec/Bates gullet gauge is ONLY to measure for the width of the plate you put into the changeable "gullet" saddle. That goes up front in the pommel area. That is only one part of fitting the saddle. You can have a wide pommel area, but unless the rest of the gullet - the entire channel under the saddle - is wide enough and shaped properly, it will still sit on or too close to the spine, or the panels won't lie flat, or both.

6. itoshii/

itoshii/ Senior Member

I don't quite understand that lol/

7. lilrider

lilrider Senior Member+

SueB will they measure it for free?

8. itoshii/

itoshii/ Senior Member

Bump......!