How do I find out what size tree my english saddle has?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Fire, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Fire

Fire Senior Member+

I have an old english saddle that fits my horses great, but it doesn't fit me. I would like to find out what size the tree is so I know what to look for in a new saddle. The saddle doesn't really have any markings on it other than brand (it is an old Argentinian saddle) and seat size.

Where would I measure?

2. foureyed_dragon

foureyed_dragon Senior Member+

I always measure from d-ring to d-ring, or from the felt dot on the inside of the gullet to the other felt dot.

3. 1ststringfarms

1ststringfarms Senior Member

Gullet size is only one measurement for the tree, though it's really the only one you can go by. The only way to know for sure what type of tree is to get all of the measurements - which would require you to take the saddle apart. The flare of the tree is most important - is it flatter or steeper pitched? But you can't find that out.

Contrary to what some people believe, there is no industry standard anyhow. What some companies call narrow others can call wide.

4. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator

This. But as otherwise suggested, take a variety of measurements (and notes about where/how you took them) so you can manually measure other saddles you're considering in comparison.

5. Javanewt

Javanewt Senior Member+

Better yet (or in addition), take measurements (tracings) of your horse's back using one of those flexi-curves and use that to try to find a new saddle;)