How do baby teeth fall out?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Appylvr, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Appylvr

Appylvr Senior Member+

I could have sworn I read somewhere that when horse's baby teeth fell out it started with the back ones about 2 1/2, then the middle ones at 3 1/2, then the front ones at like 4 1/2? Is this wrong?

Cause Teak has now lost 3 of his 4 front teeth (both on bottom, and one on top), and the other one is coming out now. Also the new teeth have already grown in, before the old ones fell out. Does this sound right?

2. Jess!

Jess! Senior Member+

The babies I've had, I've noticed the front teeth fall out first.

3. mslwpk

mslwpk Senior Member+

I am not for sure. We had to have all my boys caps pulled well not all of them but we had to have 6 pulled and if i remember right she said the front ones were his adult ones. We had to have his caps pulled do to a facial fracture he got from being kicked in the face it was putting to much pressure on 1 tooth. He is 3 yrs old. I think if the caps are falling off on there own you have nothing to worry about.

4. Appylvr

Appylvr Senior Member+

Thanks guys:) Teak is only my second young horse, Baylee was a year old when we got her and that was 8 years ago. I guess I never opened her mouth to see which ones were falling out.

I just found this... looks like I had it backwards... Hopefully this is why he's been so mouthy... maybe once he gets all new teeth he won't be anymore?

Eruption of Permanent Teeth

It is helpful to have an understanding of when permanent teeth erupt as erupting teeth may cause the horse discomfort resulting in both eating and performance problems. The central incisor erupts at 2½ years, intermediate incisor at 3½ years, and corner incisor at 4½ years. The second premolars (first cheek teeth) erupt at 2 years, 8 months; third premolars (second cheek teeth) at 2 years, 10 months; and fourth premolars (third cheek teeth) at 3 years, 8 months. These are only guidelines as not all horses read the book.

There is a lot of activity going on in a horse's mouth from 2½ years to 5 years of age. It may take frequent examinations and minor dental procedures to keep a horse of this age at peak performance levels. Even with correct dental care, proper tack and good riding ability the young horse may be "mouthy" from all the activity of erupting teeth.