How did this happen?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by lennypep, Dec 5, 2009.

1. lennypep

lennypep Registered

So this is my first time posting on this sight.
    On Thursday I took my rescued Arabian mare to the vet to get her teeth floated and to get coggins. She has come a long way since I got her, but she is still very nervous around new people, and this was a new vet that many people recomended. I talked to him about her problems, and that she hates new people messing with her mouth at all, so he messed with her for a few minutes, she freaked out, so he sedated her, and she still was not happy about him in her mouth so he told me that they would probably have to put her completely under to float her teeth, it would take longer but I knew she REALLY needed it done so I told them to go ahead, and then left for about 45 minutes, because it would take a while for her to be ready.
    We went and got coffee and just hung out, and when we came back the vet was waiting outside for me with a VERY upset look on his face. We got out and he told me that when she was waking up and getting ready to stand, she had broken her leg her leg and then the main vet had to make the desicion to put her to sleep. :( I was in shock from here on out so I dont really remember all that was said, but he did let me go in and see her, which wasnt a pretty sight at all, but I would have been so mad at myself if I hadn't, there was a ton of blood, which I hadnt been expecting. He showed me the break, which was on her left hind leg, right above the hock, he told me that the bone shattered when it broke and that there was nothing they could have done, my mind didnt comprehend much though, because it was the most unexpected thing that could have happened, the vet was very upset, he was trying not to cry when he talked to me about it. He told me that in the 20 years of working as a vet this had only happened two other times.
    Has anyone else had this happen? Does anyone know how she broke her leg, I can't really understand how it happened?
    I'm sorry that this is so long

hueysgirl likes this.
  2. buck1173

buck1173 Senior Member+

OMG I am so incredibly sorry for your loss and what a horrible experience!

I'm sure anything is possible, but as you describe it, the blood, and having happened "only" twice before, makes me jump to some not nice assumptions, like there was a struggle etc. But that is just me assuming.

was this being done on concrete? that can be very slippery and cause a horse to scramble, and cause a break if fallen on... also too, I know a horse that suffered a kick and was sore for a while, then rebounded somewhat... one day he was found lying in his stall unable to get up, the kick had caused a hairline fracture that he was able to be mobile on, but getting up from a weird position in his stall weeks later caused it to snap, he was put down in his stall.... it was Christmas day too, very sad.

Is it possible your horse had a pre-existing fracture? etc?

I'm so so sorry, I've never quite heard a story such as yours, but again, anything is possible.

3. FarFromOver

FarFromOver Senior Member+

I'm very sorry for your loss. Was she in a stall?

4. aviands

aviands Senior Member

oh my gosh, that is horrible!! what a freak accident!! i'm so sorry for your loss...i can't even IMAGINE how that would have happened! something doesn't sound right. i'm so sorry :(

5. Appylvr

Appylvr Senior Member

Putting a horse under is always a risky operation... I would wonder too if it was done on concrete? When they're waking up they are very groggy and clumsy. That + concrete is not a good combination...

I would wonder why they took the decision to put her down on themselves though. I believe they need owner's permission?

6. lennypep

lennypep Registered

It was done in a room with padded floors and walls, I have no idea how it happened, and that makes it even harder, I feel so guilty that I even put her in that situation. I don't know if she just couldn't get her back leg under her enough to get the weight on it enough or what. Thanks for replying, I hope you understood what I wrote, I'm upset and I can't remeber everything the vet told me.

7. lennypep

lennypep Registered

It made me upset that they didn't wait until I got there to get permission to put her to sleep, I know that was what had to be done, but I always thought it was illegal to put an animal to sleep without permission. I may be wrong though. Its so hard for me not to blame them for what happened, even though I know it was an accident. And then I feel guilty about even taking her to get her teeth floated, even though she really needed it.

8. KiereeAngel86

KiereeAngel86 Senior Member

First let me say, I am truly sorry for your loss. Unfortunately things like this happen and we never find closure with it. My girlfriend is a vet and she was working with her mare when the lead rope got caught on her leg making her neck bend back. The mare freaked out and jumped in the air coming down on her neck and breaking it. She had to put her girl down by herself. I hope your heart finds peace soon.

9. Broken A Ranch

Broken A Ranch Senior Member+

I am so sorry for your loss... I think the vet did the right thing.. making her suffer while waiting for you to come back would be needlessly cruel in my opinion

StraightandTrue likes this.
  10. lennypep

lennypep Registered

I told the vet the same thing, I feel guilty for not have been there, but I told him that I was not upset he put her to sleep without me, she was bleeding badly and I would NEVER want her to be in so much pain. I do wish he would have called me.