How cold is too cold for a horse?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Pony00, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Pony00

Pony00 Full Member

Now I know that horses can take the cold, but how about extreme cold? My pony is snug as a bug in the rug in our barn but are neighbors have four horses. These horses are fenced in a little area in the back yard, and have no shelter not even a wind break! Okay maybe this isn't sounding all that bad but Thursday it was -25 degrees and that is not including the wind chill. Yesterday it was -18 degrees not including the wind chill. We drove past them and those horses looked miserable. So how cold is too cold?

2. *Psylocke*

*Psylocke* Senior Member+

As long as they have shelter and access to water (and hay helps keep warm) then they are fine... our temps most yrs drop to the -50 C mark which is somewhere in the -60F range..... a couple days ago we were past -40 F with the wind chill. They are A-okay! :) They just need to be able to get out of the wind...so yeah I would feel bad for them with no shelter at all... is there trees or anything?

Psy

3. Cyn

Cyn Senior Member+

Isn't there some kind of law that they need shelter in those conditions?

4. Pony00

Pony00 Full Member

The "pasture" for these horses is right on a ridge that over looks a valley. There are trees up they are "normal" trees like oak, birch, etc. No pines. The wind comes out of that valley and it is darn cold. The wind was coming from the north and the trees are on the west side of the pasture. These people think that they can leave the round bails of hay outside and let them get weathered and moldy. That is what they feed the horse and I don't even know about the water. I think I seen a tub out there. These people moved here from the city and figured they can put a two story house and four horses on 2 acres of land. In the summer they ride them all the time but in the winter they get neglected.

5. riding_reaper

riding_reaper Senior Member+

my horse gets moves into the corral when it gets anywhere below 20 degrees F.

6. zomer

zomer Senior Member+

I think they need a shelter. It's only negative 10 here and all of the horses where I board are huddled together in their shelters, so I know they are feeling the effects of the weather. I tend to be a little "over worried" about conditions when I know they are hardy, but I absolutely think those horses need a shelter, and if not, they should be well blanketed to cut the wind.
    The rule at my barn is if they are shivering, then something needs to be done.

7. born2ride_33

born2ride_33 Senior Member

It was -30 F here a couple of days ago and my horses were fine with their nice fresh hay and a nice cozy stall! :p

8. Moonshine Zeus

Moonshine Zeus Senior Member+

Im a wuss and pass that onto my horses the cooldest it gets here is about 5-8 degrees celcius and my horses are rugged up very warm with alot of shelter!

9. i_luv_moth

i_luv_moth Senior Member+

MOth has a winter cover on(it is like the snuggliest cover!!lol) and our paddocks are surrounded by huge trees so we don't get alot of wind.

If it is pelting down with rain,we chuck them into the shed paddock which has a run in that they can hide under.

10. MyBabyTex

MyBabyTex Senior Member+

Being from Canada, where it's freakin cold, I can say from experience that adequate shelter is usually good enough for horses.

Now, horses that are from warmer climates coming here will often need blankets. But Canadian born and raised horses usually have comfy winter coats that protect them from the elements. I've actually had worse experience with blanketing in cold weather then without.

As for having horses out in freezing weather without shelter... I don't find that suitable at all. Horses will often not even bother to use the shelter, but it should always be made available to them.