Horses with naturally wavy mane/tail - tips on getting fullness, encouraging wave?

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by whippetlovr, Apr 11, 2012.

1. whippetlovr

whippetlovr Senior Member

I have a horse (Canadian) with a naturally wavy tail. His mane sadly, was always straight... though since I purchased him 4 months ago, and have been feeding him biotin, flax, and using MTG, I've noticed that the underside of his mane is starting to get a very pronounced wave in it (finally!).

So I have a few questions.

First- do horses with naturally 'full' or wavy manes (genetically speaking) tend to develop fuller/wavier manes with age? (my horse is 5 in June)

And, is there anything I can do to encourage more growth, fuller growth, and the natural wave he's supposed to have, beyond what I'm already doing?

Thanks!

2. greenpaintpony

greenpaintpony Senior Member

My mare has a wavy mane and it drives me NUTS. :D I keep it pulled/trimmed and it gets all flippy at the ends. Ugh. I have no idea what to do with it!

Since you like the wave, one thing that I have noticed helps is keeping it trimmed a bit. I don't at all mean take a pair of scissors and cut bluntly across, but a little trim (cut upwards into the mane) to keep the dead ends out seemed to help. My mare's mane has also gotten wavier as she's grown up. I'll see if I can find photos!

ETA: As a three year old-fairly straight mane:
    [​IMG]

Last summer, before I pulled it:
    [​IMG]

Now, as a seven year old (it's that flippy up part towards her withers...:rolleyes:):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  3. possumtrot

possumtrot Senior Member+

Braid the mane wet and it will have waves when you take out the braids.
    To make the tail appear fuller, hand pick, do not comb/brush.

4. freedom32

freedom32 Senior Member

My horse has a thick, wavy mane and tail-and it drives me nuts! After several years of nonstop battles with witches knots I plan on roaching her this year.

5. whippetlovr

Yep, I love the wave, it's a breed characteristic. His tail is very wavy, I'm hoping I can encourage his mane along the way... I don't understand why it is very wavy on the underside, but poker straight (and sunbleached, ugh) in top.

I don't want to trim much, but maybe I'll just give the ends a super small trim. I definitely won't ever pull it or roach it, as the breed is supposed to have a very full, very long mane. His sire and dam have SO much mane, and yet his is not nearly as nice. Greenpaintpony- hopefully he will be like yours, and get wavier as he gets older. Fingers crossed!!

If I can get him to this point, I'll be ecstatic! His tail is already that full and just about that long (stupid breeders had trimmed it along with his nice feathers in the winter), but his mane needs help!

[​IMG]

6. Laffee Taffee

Laffee Taffee Senior Member

I didn't realize Jez's mane was even wavy until I trimmed it to about 6 inches. The longer the mane is, the heavier it tends to be so it straightens the mane out. I'd say the butter-zone is about 4-6 inches, long enough to see the wave, short enough to not be too heavy. You ought to pull it then wash it really good, condition it and then brush it every day. Normally you wouldn't want to brush it so much but it will help to create even waves. As far as I could tell, thickness doesn't have so much to do with the mane being wavy as it does with being well maintained.

Here's a pic of Jez with her mane straight (me sitting next to her, she was actually foundered in this pic)
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic of her mane about 2 years later, pulled and clean (and not foundered =D )
    [​IMG]

7. whippetlovr

I definitely won't pull his mane, ever. You just don't pull Canadians' manes, they are supposed to be as long as possible (i.e. in the picture above), and I like it long. I thankfully (because of his breed) don't like the pulled look either.

I think I'll give it a teensy trim to get rid of some of the sumbleached ends, and then wash it and condition it really well. That should be an adventure in itself, as I don't think he's ever been bathed! :)

8. Laffee Taffee

Laffee Taffee Senior Member

I have a question. Do only specific breeds of horses get wavy manes and tails, or do you just get lucky when your horse has that trait? And if you own say a quarter horse or a thoroughbred and they have the wavy mane/tail, does that mean they're not pure bred?

9. RoozerCruizer

RoozerCruizer Senior Member

how do you encourage curly hair in a non curly horse? Theres a horse at the barn with corkscrew curls and they look lovely.. :eek: and i know for a fact it's natural!!

10. DocSueScooter

DocSueScooter Senior Member

My little QH gelding is a full QH (his pedigree is around here on the website somewhere) and he has a wavy mane and tail.