Horses per acre in YOUR state/county/township

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by PeggySue, Oct 21, 2009.

1. PeggySue

PeggySue Senior Member+

I just called the IL Dept of Ag since I am bringing in a friends horses for the winter... she is moving back and I was worried about not enough space BY LAW!! And was shocked to find out that IL has no limits on the number per acre as long as they have Food, Water, Shelter (man made) and vet care when needed...OH yeah they must have room to WALK around!! nothing more

So what does YOUR state have in place as far as laws concerning number of horses per acre or however it is written where you are

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009

2. SunBun

SunBun Senior Member+

I'm pretty sure (at least in my COUNTY) that it's 3 acres for every ONE livestock...that even includes a chicken. A little ridiculous.

3. Lou3

Lou3 Senior Member+

Nothing over here. We can have as many as we want on as little land as we want provided they are all healthy.

4. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member+

I keep thinking it is like 2 or 3 per acre but I got that number from my FIL and he got that from the city where his horses were grandfathered in or he couldn't have them. So there may not be a number for the county.

5. dlindsey2000

dlindsey2000 Senior Member

last i heard here it was 5 acres to have livestock, then 1 acre per head...but i may be wrong...lol

6. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member+

I don't think there is a law like that here in CO. In the city there are definitely zoning laws that restrict whether or not horses can even be there.

Management wise, for pasture one acre will not support even one horse in CO. I think it takes 20.

7. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member+

it MAY be something that is determined by your City and/or Town. I am a Town Clerk for a Township in a large metropolitan county in MN. In each zoning district, it states you must have 3 acres for one "animal unit" and an additional acre for each additional "animal unit".

our "animal units" are described as:
    Animal

Units

1. one mature dairy cow

2. one slaughter steer or heifer

3. one horse

4. one swine over 55 pounds

5. one goose or duck

6. one goat or sheep

7. one swine under 55 pounds

8. one turkey

9. one chicken

10. one llama

For animals not listed above, the number of animal units shall be defined as the average weight of the animal divided by one thousand (1,000) pounds.

8. FleetFeet

FleetFeet Senior Member+

I was under the impression you could keep 2 horses per acre...but I may have just made that up. Haha

I know in at least the city my old barn was in you needed atleast 10 acres to have a equestrian business/facility.

Now that I think about it, at one point my old barn easily had 12+ horses on a 5 acre property...yeesh thats a lot horse for not a lot of land...However, they have since bought all the surrounding lots.

9. CJnBucksMom

CJnBucksMom Senior Member+

Same here in TN. Unless it's different in specific counties there is no restriction whatsoever.

10. Bluwind_Acres

Bluwind_Acres Senior Member

well its 1 acre per horse if you are not feeding hay. otherwise there is no limit here in upper michigan. I have 5 on 2 acres. and there is a lady with like 30 ponies on 1 acre. but because they are all a 3 for body score and always appear to have food and water, claims they are elderly (i worked for her so I know how sneaky she is) and have shelter they let her continue on. *sigh*