Horses out in the rain..

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by ChevyGurl, Aug 14, 2008.

1. ChevyGurl

ChevyGurl Senior Member

My horse usually is outside 24/7 and loves being out in the rain. Lately, Ive been wanting to keep him in when its rainy to keep his coat nice and so he doesnt get "sick." How bad is it for them to be out in the rain? Do you usually put your horses in or let them stay out in rain? He has access to his stall but chooses to be out and get wet. Its getting cooler at night and Im afraid hes cold and wet out there. Its best to just put him in right?

2. Arrow

Arrow Senior Member

If he has access to his stall and can choose himself, you don't need to do anything--just let him choose.

3. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator

What is he supposedly going to get sick from?

Mine are out if they want and in if they want. They have open access to their stalls 24/7. I have one gelding who thinks he will absolutely MELT if he gets rained on...and my mare goes running bucking and pharting in the rain. Go figure. LOL

Neither one of them have EVER been sick from it?

Trace likes this.
  4. ChevyGurl

ChevyGurl Senior Member

I dunno what he'd get sick from, thinking of him being cold and wet just makes me worry. I just worry a lot...A LOT!

5. PeggySue

PeggySue Senior Member+

Your horse will nto get sick out in the rain... Most horses do perfer to be out in it... we can change only so much and to them it is safer outside

Heather we need to keep Azar and Sassy together they could run for the barn and race to see who gets there first LMAO

6. Huntseat123

Huntseat123 Senior Member+

I'm the type of person (even though my horse is stalled lol) that prefers a horse to be in as most "natural" conditions as possible. At the old barn I boarded at, if it snowed two inches, rained a bit, etc., the horses were not turned out, and I hated it. Personally, I think its best a horse stays outside, even if it is raining. Since your horse has access to his stall if it is raining, and he doesn't use it, then he doesnt need it.

But if you are concerned about his coat, I don't see why you couldn't just stick him in his stall. Do you keep hay in his stall? maybe the next time it looks like it might rain, but a flake of hay in his stall. He might be a little more apedt (sp lol) to go in his stall.

And, to answer your questions:

How bad is it for you to stay out in the rain? Some people say you could "catch a cold" but honestly, its a myth. The worst that happens is you are a little uncomfortable, right?

My horse stays out if its raining, he comes in to eat and sleep. Sometimes I even turn him out at night.

Its personal preferance. If you see your horse shivering, then it would be best to put him in, but otherwise it really does not matter.

I'm interested to see everyone elses responses, just because this situation is a preferance. There is no right or wrong.

7. Red roan rider1

Red roan rider1 Senior Member+

My horse hates to be out in the rain. He prefers his nice warm box stall to a rainy pasture. But he does get plenty of turnout. He is outside every day ....Unless its raining.

8. RegalCharm

RegalCharm Full Member

and look at all the shampoo you are saving:)

my two are black and when it gets hot they head for the
    run in.

9. ChevyGurl

ChevyGurl Senior Member

Yea I do put hay in for him at night so when he does choose to come in he has something to keep him busy. I put him in an hour ago because it started pouring and thundering and he hasnt touched that hay...he has his head hanging over the stall door that leads outside...like hes longing to go out. I dont understand. Doesnt he wanna be in his warm, dry stall? haha guess not..

10. FaeriesFaith

FaeriesFaith Senior Member

The way my pastures are situated right now, the run in shelters are gated off from the big pen the horses live in. When it rains however I open up the gates and give them the choice, Usually I find them out in the middle of the field happily getting soaked through. My blacks don't even come in when its sunny...Preferring the tree shade provided to the run ins....They all live outside 24/7 (I can't wait for the barn to be done so I can bring em in to doctor when i need to)