Horses and dog poop bags

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Sidssa, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Sidssa

Sidssa Full Member

Recently someone posted the attached photo on my local NextDoor board. It's not a local flier, but apparently my neighbor saw it on the internet and thought it was relevant to the usual arguing that all the NextDoor addicts near me like to engage in regarding the problem of rogue dog poop bags all over our local trails. She (not a horse person) said that she thought all the horses being ridden on these trails are at risk of death from these poop bags.

Have you ever heard of this? Are horses really attracted to the "cereal content" of dog poop? I guess it's not impossible, but there is NO way either of my horses would eat a plastic bag containing dog poop. Obviously they wouldn't do it if I was riding them on a trail, but I'm 99.5% they wouldn't do it at liberty, either. Would yours?

P.S. Not picking up your dog's poop on a public trail is lame, for the record. horse poo bags.jpg

2. Puddincup

Puddincup Senior Member

I have never heard of this. Interested to see the response to your thread!

3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

That's a new one, never heard of anything like this.

4. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

All I can say is, even tho horses will eat their own poop, at least they are not meat eaters, lol. Somehow I cannot see a horses eating dog poop, even if they have “cereal” included. Would love to see vet report on this, wouldn’t you?

Strange, indeed.

5. phantomhorse13

phantomhorse13 Full Member

I have never seen any of our horses choose to eat the dog poop which can often be found in our yard during their post-ride grazing time.. though I guess we have all learned that when it comes to horses, never say never. I, too, would be interested in seeing the necropsy report.

I would certainly be quite ****ed at people tossing their dog waste bags into my pasture, regardless of my horse wanting to eat them or not.

6. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

This, and hanging the things on trees, dump your bags properly people.

Never heard horses eating them.

7. Sidssa

Sidssa Full Member

Agreed about proper disposal of poop and bags being the absolute minimum for being a decent dog-owning human.

On the other hand, if my horse was really found to be full of plastic bags after his/her death, there's no way I would keep my other horses in the same pasture with the same access to the fence line for several more months. I guess the whole thing sets off my Hinkyometer a little bit.

8. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

A quick google search just brings up this one case over and again....doesn’t sound like an epidemic.

9. Sidssa

Sidssa Full Member

I wonder if the people were just (rightfully) ****ed about finding the bags in their pasture and made up the horse deaths for a shocking flier.

Puddincup likes this.
  10. slc

slc Senior Member

Well I am sure if someone had a foal die they would be very suspicious of anyone throwing garbage into the pasture. And certainly, foals do die quite often. But quite often, they die due to lack of care(no vaccines, for example, and being exposed to other sick horses), or simply because they get sick so rapidly, for example with some viruses, that the owner doesn't even have time to react. In other words, the death may not have been due to the bags of poop.

Clearly, throwing garbage into someone's yard or pasture, that's bad. It's against the law in many places, and it's incredibly rude and inconsiderate. And clearly, in some municipalities, the only way to keep people from filling your property with bags of dog poop, broken toilets, spoiled food, disabled cars and dead bodies, is to convince them that you are even crazier than they are.

I have heard of horses eating odd things when they have nothing else to eat. Horses always crave something to chew on. Especially if they are hungry and it's been some time since they had something to eat, they will pick up just about anything. For example, Wuss Horse went out in the snow yesterday. He was so disappointed that the snow covered up all the nice green grass, that he ate some chickory and oak leaves.*

But plastic bags of dog poop? I'm not so sure of that or of the idea that a dog's poop is in any way, to any creature, reminiscent of 'cereal.'

That said, a horse eating plastic bags, fabric, fibers, rope, plastic, wood (especially from trees that make horses sick), IF the horse did so in any quantity, it could in fact cause serious harm.

*Wuss Horse always fervently believes he's starving to death. He had just had a huge flake of hay and his ration balancer when he was desperately chasing down wind blown oak leaves.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018