Horse with prosthetic leg

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Horselove4ever9, May 5, 2011.

1. Horselove4ever9

Horselove4ever9 Senior Member+

http://www.onlineweblibrary.com/blog/?p=767

Came across this today about a horse who had her leg amputated at the knee and is now fitted with a prosthetic leg. She looks phenominal and seems to have a pretty great quality of life too. What do you guys think? If your horse broke a leg or got an infection like this one would you go with a prosthetic if they were a candidate?

2. BayHorseLuv

BayHorseLuv Senior Member

I wonder how much it costs to do something like that?

3. Horselove4ever9

Horselove4ever9 Senior Member+

No clue, that's the one thing the article doesn't mention. I imagine it would be pretty expensive though.

ETA: Quick search at google gave answers from 5,000 to 14,000 so it's fairly expensive.

4. BayHorseLuv

BayHorseLuv Senior Member

Wow 14,000. Can the horse still rol, buck, and gallop around with a prostetic? The video wouldn't work for me.

5. reicheru

reicheru Senior Member+

Probably not, if they were fairly young. Given my 3 are oldies... def not.

6. Kizza

Kizza Senior Member+

I don't know if I could do that to my horse. If the injury is bad enough that the leg has to go/horse be put down, that's an awful lot of pain. All the weight bearing on the other side is risking laminitis and whatever else, you'd have to be so careful having a horse with one about the terrain it's on, the type of fences it's near... probably be the end of riding days... long recovery process...

I just can't quite decide what I think. On one hand, to save my horse's life in such a situation would be incredible as I wouldn't have to say goodbye to my best friend.. but is it saving it for selfish reasons? The horse won't know you've saved it's life, and euthanasia puts it out of pain immediately..

7. all4him

all4him Senior Member+

I'm not sure I would do it for anything but a top stallion. If it were just $5,000 or so, it would be more reasonable but I highly doubt it's in all honesty less than $20,000. But I believe that most horses could not handle that since there are huge requirements for them to be able to do it. I do think it's wonderful that there are those who are able to pay for something like this and now we have more and more research being done. For that, I'm grateful.

8. Allkian

Allkian Senior Member+

That is a very strange looking prosthesis. It doesnt' look like it could hold all that weight! What quality of life could the horse have with this leg? That's the real question to ask. And it doesn't look permanent- it looks like it could potentially come off-- which would make me really leery. I think the technology would have to get better before I even considered how much it was- especially as has been mentioned - the fear of laminitis caused by the uneven weight.

9. emali06

emali06 Senior Member+

I would never do that to my horse.

10. all4him

all4him Senior Member+

Actually, that's a typical beginner prosthetic. It CAN come off - it's not permanently fastened to his leg because that would bring in additional problems of infection. But I'm sure it's made with titanium which is extremely strong. The article says that the horse trots on it so he can't be THAT uncomfortable!