horse with dislocated shoulder??

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by bobnhawks315, May 12, 2012.

1. bobnhawks315

bobnhawks315 Senior Member

i think my horse has dislocated shoulder or it is broke. if you look at his shoulder it looks like a bone is sticking out. (not out of the skin) it just doesnt look right. i tried to pull his leg forward and it wouldnt go. he will put weight on the leg but limps very baddly on it. he obviously can only move it forward a couple inches. this happened last night and cant take him to the vet (whos also a chiro) till probly monday. does anyone have experence with a dislocated shoulder? i cant find really anything on the internet. please any help would be greatly appricated.

2. Theorist

Theorist Senior Member+

A shoulder injury such as you describe can heal, BUT like our shoulders, they are always susceptible to re injury. And it will happen.
    Restrict all activity. Stall rest. UGH shoulders can reocurr at a lope. Doesn't even require trauma.

3. Asfaloth

Asfaloth Senior Member+

Yup. Happened to my mare several years ago on a trail ride. Chiro put it back in. Requited several adjustments to get it to stay. Also put her on MSM for inflammation and stall rest for a couple of weeks. Took about a month for the soreness to go away and she still requires a massage and adjustment on that shoulder periodically.

4. jmjarabians

jmjarabians Senior Member+

Our old 33 year old gelding fell in the pasture and this happened to him. After about 3 weeks of treating him it kept happening every time he'd lay down and get back up. We finally had him put down. Hopefully you can get better results with your guy! *hugs*

5. Asfaloth

Asfaloth Senior Member+

Actually the joint at the point of the shoulder is what becomes dislocated and yes it can happen.

6. bobnhawks315

bobnhawks315 Senior Member

did any of your guys horse become rideable again beside jarabians(sorry to hear that)? did they take xrays? i cant even afford to feed this horse and was actually suppose to have someone come look at him today and now i dont even know if hes going to be ok.he already has something going on with his hind end i suspect sore hocks or arthritic hocks, and now this happens. im so angry right now! i swear this horse has been a problem horse since i got him.

7. Asfaloth

Asfaloth Senior Member+

Oh absolutely. I ride my mare quite a bit still and she's really fine and her case was one of the more severe ones. Like your horse her shoulder stuck out at a weird angle before ti was fixed. I had my massage therapist teach me how to work on her shoulder as it gets a bit jammed from time to time. This really is not that uncommon an issue it is just often more mild and generally overlooked as bad behavior when a horse cannot put its foot up and forward for the farrier. I see it a lot in horses I trim.

8. happygolucky

happygolucky Senior Member+

Wow sorry to hear that. However, if your not sure what exactly the problem is and he is limping so bad is there not another vet you can get out to check him, it's a shame to have him in pain all wknd...most vets do emergency calls. Not sure of your situation however, if you cannot afford to feed him, is there a resuce that might take him for you, seems you are having some difficulties and vet bills could run you alot with an injury plus his other problems? Best to you.

9. Zimalia

Zimalia Senior Member+

We had a stallion that slipped on ice and dislocated his shoulder. After working with him for 5 months, we put him down.

I'm really sorry to hear your horse did this, but to be bluntly honest, there's not much of an outlook for it. We did everything we could for our stallion, but it was of no use at all.

10. Testing123x

Testing123x Senior Member

Call the vet ASAP!

2 people like this.