Horse who toes out....

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by xlilxonex, Jun 28, 2009.

1. xlilxonex

xlilxonex Banned

Is it possible to fix or lessen the intensity of a horse who toe's out? Have a mare, CUTE mover great horse but her front legs toe out pretty bad.. The left more than right...

I don't know if there is anythign to do to help it or what but thought I would ask.

2. mftx4

mftx4 Senior Member+

I have an older mare that toes out on all 4 feet. She is trimmed to her own conformation and she gaits very well. She is a Fox Trotter.
    Many of these horses could have possiably been corrected had they had the proper trimming as youngsters, less than a year old. I believe once the joints close, at a year or so old, a professional farrier would be the one to tell you what the possiabilities are. Trimming and shoeing for balance and conformation are very important no matter how much we would like to straighten their feet.

3. xlilxonex

xlilxonex Banned

It's just her front feet and her front left is PRETTY bad.... She's five almost six so I dont know if anything can be done to help...

4. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member+

There's nothing you can do. You need to trim and shoe the feet she has. Just be aware that that particular conformation fault can contribute to some unsoundness issues. Toeing out puts more stress on joints. Some people might recommend always putting support or splint boots on the horse while working it, but I'm not convinced that boots are actually capable of giving additional support.

5. mftx4

mftx4 Senior Member+

At her age, I personally, wouldn't try to correct her,JMO. Make sure she's trimmed properly for her way of going. I feel, to try to straighten it now would do her more harm than good. Her bones are set and to try to correct it now would only make her uncomfortable. If she has good movement and is comfortable to ride, those are the important things.

6. xlilxonex

xlilxonex Banned

Just hurts her re-sale value horribly especially in this market... *sighs*

7. mftx4

mftx4 Senior Member+

Sorry, I think the horse's comfort would be my priority. Intelligent horse people know it won't hurt her. As a pleasure or trail horse, if she is well trained, the foot should make no difference.

8. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

You need to get a good set of xrays to see what's going on. It IS possible that trimming has made her this way, and if so, it's possible (not a given though) that correcting the trimming can correct the issue at least to some degree.

But if that's her conformation, then you cannot fix it without making her sore.

9. xlilxonex

xlilxonex Banned

I knew it was a crazy thought but had to ask! I don't have the money for x-rays, but it's pretty evident that it's conformation wise sadly....