Horse that is very hot on the trails.

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Corgiequestrian, Jan 4, 2019.

1. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

The OP got frustrated because she got suggestions, explained why she can't do them at the present second, and then got berated for not taking advice. So she got testy and said she can't pull out a trailer from her ass. That's no more rude than the comments that led to that point.

This is the type of thing that chases new members away from the forums and causes the gradual decline in activity we see now.

2. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

This poster was resistant to any suggestions that was given, from the beginning. Do you not see that it is equally frustrating when people ask for help and suggestions, but just refuse, sometimes rudely , to even consider the suggestions given?

The remark about the calming paste was criticized, maybe rightly so, but on the other hand, it was suggested she take medication before she rides. Frankly, don’t see much difference between the two.

Hope she doesn’t get herself hurt. But at this point, the only advice appears to be get some help, which she probably isn’t going to do. So, I’m backing out of this one.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  3. Corgiequestrian

Corgiequestrian Full Member

Again, you should read the thread. Where did i shoot down every suggestion given? I did not refuse to consider them. But i cant consider putting her in a trailer at this point in time to take her somewhere if i dont have one. You are making absolutely no sense.

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

If you can't do a suggestion, keep it to yourself is the best thing. When every suggestion given is replied to with “I can't“ it sounds like someone who just doesn't want to have to do that work. Reminiscent of a kid replying “I Can't“ to a parent when the parent knows they can, but just don't want to. That's where the human mind goes when every suggestion gets shot down.

Truth is, if you make some friends, and when you get that trailer, you CAN trailer her out and ride with friends in a group.

But, you have to change in order for the mare to change. This is the bottom line.

5. LVMYQH

LVMYQH Senior Member

She refused some of the advice because
    1. Does not have a trailer
    2. Has no one to ride with

These are the present facts of the situation. She simply CANT do some of the things advised, because it's not available at this time.

This is where we accept it...work with the facts...and offer the best advice we can in the given situation.

So to clarify mine

1. Make sure saddle fit isnt an issue and shes not in pain
    2. Have a trainer come to you
    3. Try a calming paste
    4. Make sure you as the rider aren't contributing to the undesired behavior. Stay relaxed

6. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

The biggest fact if the mater is that the OP really doesn’t have any place to ride/work at the farm. In the field isn’t really a riding/work space. So there is very little else to suggest to solve the issue.

There’s a clear training issue, but no area to work on training. The OP has made it clear she’s not in a position to continue trail riding the horse as the horse is demonstrating behaviors far outside of her level of ability to handle. So straight up, the options are very limited. It’s why so many are suggesting to sell the horse and find a more suitable option.

kodemiester, foxtrot, NaeNae and 3 others like this.
  7. Corgiequestrian

I realize i can do these things later, but its just not the reality at this present time. I was only trying to explain the situation so i didnt get the same replies over and over. Like i have said ive tried to set things up to ride with others but its generally a conflict of schedules, or they constantly have to cancel or cant make solid plans. And i did mention ill keep trying and take the opportunity when i can. I was just curious to see if there were any other sort of suggestions. Im not looking for a magic fix, if i have to put her on hold for a while thats totally fine by me.

manesntails likes this.
  8. Corgiequestrian

I wasnt replying to every single post but thankyou to those that understood my situation and tried to offer other suggestions. Im not in any rush with her at this point in time, and do plan to change the situation later down the road. So in the mean time ill look further into what i can try now and if she has to have some time off for a while thats okay too.
    She really is quite enjoyable to ride when she is having a good day, but if we get stuck and it looks like shes been off for too long and will continue to be then ill be considering selling her.

foxtrot likes this.
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

Funny, but rude, but not exactly untrue.

The rider's anxiety often affects the horse.

Not in the way people say, horses don't 'smell fear' or 'sense fear'. They react to specific changes in how you ride. And those changes become a cue, an aid, a signal, whatever you want to call it, that prompts the bad behavior.

I was over at a friend's watching her clinic with Miguel Tavora(RIP). The horse was spooking like crazy every time she went past the door of the arena. He said, 'you are making a move, you don't notice it, but you are making a move before the door, and because you do that, the horse spooks.'

She says, 'I'm not doing anything.' Tavora says, yes, like I said, you don't notice it. She says, but I'm not doing anything. Tavora says, like I told you, you don't feel it, but you are doing it and the horse feels it.

LOL. She's arguing with a guy who has eighty years of experience of being trained by the best in the world, and riding and training horses, every single day of his life. At eighty five, he could still outride most people in the world, lol. And he knew more about riding than most people in the world.

The fact is that the horse spooks, or takes off, or does whatever a couple times, and the rider's anticipation of that, then becomes the cue to do that.

It takes a lot of self-control and awareness to feel that difference in your riding. Many instructors 'talk the person through it' by giving them other things to concentrate on and do, such as a pattern, figure or exercise, so they can't slip back into that habit, and 'cue the horse to bolt/spook/buck/etc'.

10. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Why should she keep it to herself if there are no other people available as trail riding companions?

~tiffy~, foxtrot and NBChoice like this.