Horse That Breaks Away on Lunge Line: HELP!

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by TurnNBurn321, Mar 22, 2013.

1. TurnNBurn321

TurnNBurn321 Full Member

This is a very serious problem I need help solving. The owners don't know what to do either. They have tried ( and trust me they are very good ) and the horse ( Yacht ) broke the owner's finger last time she lunged her.
    So basically, whenever I try and lunge Yacht on a lunge line, it doesn't matter if it's at a walk, trot, canter, etc. She bolts off. I have tried keeping her in a smaller circle and bending her head towards me so it makes it more difficult, and sometimes it works but sometimes it doesn't. So that means she only gets free lunged when nobody is at the barn. She does fine free lunging, she knows to stay in a circle around me but that's less than 2 times a week. I have been thinking about taking her to a Clinton Anderson clinic/tour and seeing if he can help, but that's only if I can't solve it myself.

2. Laffee Taffee

Laffee Taffee Senior Member+

Does she know lateral flexion and can give to the halter? If you drop the lead and she walks off and steps on it, does she know to stay calm and just step back off, or will she flip out?

3. TurnNBurn321

TurnNBurn321 Full Member

Haha, NO. Yesterday she was rolling and I never hold onto the lead because if she rolls to the other side then it's pulling on her neck. So she got up, and stepped on the lead when she got up and totally flipped out. Another time, I had just gotten off bareback and I had her bridle on. I just finished putting her blanket on, we were walking to get the halter. I had the reins over her head, she was following me and somehow ( I have no clue ) she stepped on her reins and got stuck, reared and flipped over twice and once she calmed down a little bit, I got her un-stuck. Ever since then I ALWAYS hold the reins when I walk her somewhere.

4. MysticRealm

MysticRealm Senior Member+

Lunge in a bridle, lunge in a bridle with side reins, or lunge with a chain till horse realizes he can't get away.

5 people like this.
  5. Laffee Taffee

Well thar's yer prahblem. Often with new horses or when you're teaching them to lunge, they lean on the halter slightly and it scares them so they start to bolt, and that's when the handler puts all their weight into the line and pulls back, which causes the horse to panic even more. If the horse has no idea how to respond to halter pressure then the horse isn't going to stay calm when she feels pressure while lunging, even with just a little bit of pressure.

Try putting a lead rope on her and then just turning her loose in a round pen or in her stall. She's inevitably going to step on it, so she's going to have to teach herself to stay calm and step off the lead. No one can save her but herself in that situation, so she's in complete control. When she learns to stay calm and give to the halter when she steps on it, then you're ready to start teaching her lateral flexion and backing up to halter pressure. But when you decide to lunge her again with a lunge line, try lunging her first in a round pen with the line very loose just in case she's associated lunging with being scared.

*edit* It would also be a good idea to use a rope halter and a clip-less lead rope when you're turning her loose, so nothing will break or snap

2 people like this.
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member+

Why do they NEED to lunge the horse? Lots of horses hate mindless circles and smart ones will just give you the finger by taking off. Lunging is NOT, NOT, NOT, a necessary exercise. In 40+ years with all kinds of horses to train, I've never had one that NEEDED lunged. Just don't lunge it.

3 people like this.
  7. TurnNBurn321

TurnNBurn321 Full Member

I have. Many times.

8. TurnNBurn321

TurnNBurn321 Full Member

First of all, it is a preference of the owner, rider, trainer, etc. I think that it helps get some energy out before you continue with your daily riding routine. Second, I don't like when people call my horse an " it " . It wouldn't be nice if I referred to you as one. Third, it isn't my horse. I am required to lunge before lessons, so I don't lunge everyday like I already mentioned. Only on lesson days, which is mainly 1 time a week. But sometimes I do on my own. The horse has to do what the rider is telling them to do, not do whatever he/she wants to do. There must be some type of instruction.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  9. Laffee Taffee

I agree that no one needs to lunge a horse, but I think there's a definite sign of a problem if you can't lunge your horse. If you simply don't lunge your horse because you can't, then you're avoiding problems that will definitely show up in other areas.

10. dumbjockey

dumbjockey Senior Member+

If the owner's were truly experienced they would not have, most likely , gotten a broken finger. NEVER wrap your hands around any line, at any time. I am not saying it can't happen but most of the time when it does the handler is not experienced enough. When a horse bolts on the lunge line try a chain over the nose type of lunge, just make sure to go over the top of the nose piece of the halter, through the the other ring on the off side, then snap to the bottom. The minute the horse bolts, take up the slack a bit give a sharp tug, tipping the horses head into you and ask in a firm voice to "whoa". Smaller circles just make a horse sore.
    BTW...manes meant the horse would give you the bird, not her. LOL.. she would flat out tell you and be very clear about it.
    If it were me I would get a handle on lunging properly before I added the bridle and checks...that introduces even more issues if you are inexperienced. A round pen is a must and stops most of those issues as well.:)