Horse standing with back legs extended???

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by jnettrecker, Dec 14, 2008.

1. jnettrecker

jnettrecker Registered

I have owned and trained horses for over 10 years and have dealt with founder, lameness, & "you name it" but you always find that one thing that worries you and you don't know Jack about it :)

It may not be anything but it never hurts to ask. I just picked up this QH Gelding a few days ago. When he stands he extends his back legs a little (almost as if pointing his toes down), Not very far, but I especially noticed it while he was tied to the trailer as we tacked up for our trail ride. He was shod by my farrier on Friday but he shows no signs of lameness. He does have sort of a steep or tall step at a walk but both trot and canter are perfectly smooth. I think that is his natural gait.
    Do you think this is something I should be concerned with? I have attached a pic of him standing this way (sorry they are more from the front. Hard to hold horse and camera at same time).

Any advice would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015

2. justdreaminxx

justdreaminxx Full Member

Every time I've seen a horse stand like this he/she was ouchy in his peepee place or was just stretching his back. :)
    But since I wasn't there to actually look at the horse and see how his/her muscles are tensing or relaxing I can't exactly tell you whats up.
    Was he straining, or do you think he's just streching his back?
    Does he look uncomfortable? How many times have you seen him pee?
    Could he possibly be parking like TWH?

3. jnettrecker

jnettrecker Registered

If TWH is Tennessee Walking Horse then I guess you could describe it as that. But he is definitely not gaited. He is reg QH. I have not seen him pee?? You thinking maybe an infection? I don't think it is just stretching his back, when I backed him out of the trailer I noticed him stretching out the same way but at the time I thought it was just him "reaching" for the step or ramp as I have seen some horses do. Looking back now I believe it was the same characteristic of the extending though. Ironically he looks perfectly normal at the walk. I was watching him as my wife rode him today.

4. EVOO

EVOO Senior Member+

Maybe it's just me, from the pictures it looks a little different than a "parked out" stance that a TWH will get into. It almost looks like he is putting more weight through the toes whereas a TWH will have the back legs parked out but will still be applying weight through the foot evenly and down through the heel.

Have you checked his sheath? I might start there since justdreamin has had experience with horses being sore in the genitals when taking up this stance.

From there I'd probably also check all up and down the back and hips for signs of soreness and check out the hooves as well. Since it appears he is taking weight off the heels maybe the problem is there? I'm certainly no expert, but those would be my first places of concern.

Does he land heel-toe or toe-heel when moving?

5. jnettrecker

jnettrecker Registered

I will be checking it out when I get home from my "Real" job tomorrow. Thanks for your input. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

6. DiamondRio

DiamondRio Senior Member+

My horse was demonstrating this behavior a few weeks ago after a ride and it turned out she had a cramp or something in her leg and after i stretched her back legs out she was perfectly fine.
    But same thing, she was stiff at the walk but fine at trot and canter.

7. jnettrecker

jnettrecker Registered

I plan to check his sheath and look for the bean ect tomorrow, but do you think it could be anything to do with being shod? Have you ever seen a horse do this if the pitch of the foot were changed and the horse was ridden the next day? I have not spoken with my farrier yet but since he is a new horse it is possible that he changed or corrected the pitch of his foot causing some pain due to muscle stretch?

8. Ryle

Ryle Senior Member+

This sort of stance can indicated abdominal pain, including pain in the sheath, or back pain or even hind limb pain. It is a common stance with mild colics and when you see it repeatedly in a horse the first thing that comes to mind for me is ulcers which can present as mild recurrent episodes of colic. It's definitely something to discuss with your vet.

9. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member+

If it's not a gaited horse, then yes, I'd be worried.

This is how I know my horse needs to see the chiro.....he starts standing and stretching weird like that.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
  10. justdreaminxx

justdreaminxx Full Member

I don't know much about tennesse walkers. Only ridden maybe two or three.
    I know he obviously wouldn't be gaited but I've seen people train their horses to "park" even though they aren't TWH.
    Who knows. I was half asleep when I typed that post *blushes*
    Like Circle C said, maybe you should contact a chiro.