Horse Shopping - Prospect or "Steady Eddy"?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by RedBranchRun, Mar 4, 2019.

1. RedBranchRun

RedBranchRun Full Member

Hi all,

I’m (still) horse shopping and realizing I may have to change up what I am looking for.

In my price range (mid to high 4 figures), I am looking for a solid trail horse that could potentially go to some local open shows /clinics as well. Not win, but just go to have some fun and hang out with friends.

I do love an older horse, I don’t mind a bit of maintenance. Unfortunately, I am finding that everything I look at either is quite lame, has large holes in the training, or is misrepresented. Some came close, then failed a PPE. These horses were not cheap, but at the top end of my budget.

There have been a few horses sent to me that are green broke.. young.. or just need more time under saddle. Priced at the bottom-mid budget. Some need more training and time out on trail to really be solid. I am starting to wonder if it would be a better idea to buy a green broke prospect and send it to a trainer for 3-6 months with my remaining funds. I have lost confidence over the last few years, and I know I would need to enlist the help of a trainer if I wanted to go down this route. I do not want to be over horsed. I feel like this route could be a bit of a gamble? I do like the idea of having a horse i know most of the training history on.

So, what would you do? Open up the option to start also looking at younger prospects that need to go to a trainer? Or stay the course and keep looking for something already completely solid and broke?

Thanks!

2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Stick with the plan! You want solid and sensible buy solid sensible and broke. Nothing makes a good trail horse like lots of trail miles. Maybe you need to expand your search area, it sounds like a good budget, I’m reading it as 5 - 10k, is that right

heartland and RedBranchRun like this.
  3. RedBranchRun

RedBranchRun Full Member

Hi Mooselady!
    Yes $5-10K, the ones i have been looking at have been in the $6500-7500 range.
    I'm thinking it MUST be this time of year as well?
    I just don't want to be super stubborn about wanting a reliable trail horse when maybe my budget just isn't cutting it. I'm not sure. I think another issue is I don't want a nose-to-tail trail horse that doesn't know how to canter, but is a GREAT "beer drinking horse". I also do not want a show horse that has failed in the ring so its now being advertised as a trail horse. I want something that actually was trained the basics, but is happy and broke on trail. That's where I end up having most of the difficulties.

4. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Just keep looking. Spring is almost here and more horses will be for sale. Good honest trail horses are worth their weight in gold. Most people keep them, so it may take a while to see one for sale. But they are out there.

Check out endurance sites and any working ranches in your area.

Alsosusieq2 and RedBranchRun like this.
  5. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I'd keep looking. Your budget is reasonable for what you're looking for. The right horse is out there.

6. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

Holy cow, where are you looking? You could get a super nice trail/local show/safe for anyone horse EASILY for your price range where I'm at.

bsaz, heartland, Puddincup and 6 others like this.
  7. RedBranchRun

RedBranchRun Full Member

Midwest - Mainly in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Upper Michigan, and Illinois
    Maybe I'm just horrible at finding them - very possible!

8. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

I want to go shopping for you here....
    Welcome to BLS Horse Sales

This month is the "Trail, Outfitters, Guide and Guest Horses" sale!!

Alsosusieq2 and RedBranchRun like this.
  9. RusticR

RusticR Senior Member+

Hey I’m in Upper MI. That is a healthy budget for what you’re looking for! I can put some feelers out if you’d like?

Alsosusieq2, RedBranchRun and Dream27 like this.
  10. RedBranchRun

RedBranchRun Full Member

That would be amazing! I will take any help I can get.
    Thank you!