Horse Rescues. Good Or Bad?

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by sydneefillice, Oct 13, 2012.

1. sydneefillice

sydneefillice Full Member

Hello, i want to ask you if you think horse rescues are good or bad? Some people think they are a wast of time, and money. Other people...(Like me) think that rescues are great! They give a horse a second chance! What do you think??

2. Bluechip

Bluechip Full Member

This is a loaded question...

3. glideride

glideride Senior Member+

Oh boy is that a loaded question...but if you search the rescue section here you will find many LONG threads about the Good, the Bad and the Ugly about horse rescue.

Horse rescue can be a very good thing, but ONLY if it is run properly and donations are used for the horses not to fund other things. We have seen some very good ones and then we have also seen some very bad ones, the newest thing to happen within horse rescue is rescues are now saving rescued horses from rescue that have gonebad...that's the UGLY part...

We just had a rotten one ousted in Alabama and the two involved are members here...check out South Alabama Equine Rescue....

IMHO, if a horse rescue wants to do it right...they need to be completely transparent.

5 people like this.
  4. kyfirestorm

kyfirestorm Senior Member+

It depends completely on the rescue :)

3 people like this.
  5. draftlover

draftlover Senior Member+

Rescues are great if they are truly there to help the horse and not beg for money to support themselves. Unfortunately, there are VERY FEW that fall under that category.

4 people like this.
  6. tata77

tata77 Senior Member+

Horse rescues are neutral with me. Some are good, some are bad, so just hope you don't get cheated.

7. Zonkey

Zonkey Senior Member

When I look at rescues, I look at them as any other barn... I don't know if they're good or bad until I really look into them. So I'd have to say there are some really great ones out there but there are also some really bad ones out there. If I were to donate I'd be doing tons of research to make sure I knew exactly where my money was going.

8. Sandysmomma

Sandysmomma Full Member

So does that include dog rescues, cat rescues, the ASPCA, shelters in general? They are providing food, veterinary care, farrier care, training, etc. Without fundraising, nonprofit rescues for any animals do not have a source of income to support their operation.

Is this any different than any other nonprofit operation, such as those for human charity or medical research? If you don't believe in donating to a rescue, don't donate. By the way, horse rescues are specifically listed in the law as an operation that qualifies as nonprofit. Yes, they have to send detailed financial reports every year, and the regulations are very strict. However, a good rescue, operating within the laws of nonprofit organizations are no worse than any other nonprofit charity, and have the right to raise funds.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  9. Unknown

Unknown Registered

Horse rescues do not have to be non profit. They can receive donations but the donor can't deduct it. That being said, even 501(c)3 rescues come in all shapes and sizes. Some good and some not. Do your homework before donating. The good ones need support from the public since most don't have "big sponsors".

2 people like this.
  10. glideride

glideride Senior Member+

So very true! And the other thing is just because a rescue has a non profit status doesn't make them any more legitimate then any other. I think the general public mis understands this and thinks oh, they must be a great rescue since they have a 501 (c) and that is simply not the truth. Look what just hapened with SAERR, they had a 501(c) and that didn't stop them from misuse of funds, neglect and starvation of rescue horses.

As sad as it is, you really do need to do your research and it's stinks that these lousy ones have helped make it more difficult for the good ones, just one other way the lousy ones made some horses lives miserable. Look for the good ones, they are out there and could use the help/support!

4 people like this.