Horse Racing

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by horselover139, Jul 28, 2017.

?

Are you a fan of horse racing?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. It doesn't matter to me

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. horselover139

horselover139 Registered

2. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I love going to the races. I have worked at the track. I have friend that own race horses. If the horses are treated well, I have no problem with it.

3. horselover139

horselover139 Registered

Thank you! I'm trying to see if most horse people feel the same way.. it seems like there's a pretty big divide between people who love racing and people who hate the sport. As someone in the race track industry right now, I'm curious to see what people think!

D_BaldStockings likes this.
  4. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

Used to be an exercise rider. Obvs a big fan. DRF is my Bible.

5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Trained STB race horses, me.

It's people who have NO IDEA what racing is about who have a negative opinion of racing in general. They've never stepped foot on the backside of a track and blather on about a subject they have no practical experience with in order to appear superior to others.

Note to self: don't hold back manes, tell 'em what you really think.

6. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

Used to be a big fan until the seemingly constant string of injuries drove me away. I loved racing but started feeling like something was wrong if so many were breaking down in the big mainstream televised races. Then after losing one of my own to a broken leg in pasture accident I came to this weird realization that if it can happen in a groomed paddock it can happen anywhere. So my moral conundrum with racing ended and now I love it again.

Arem, Sam C., D_BaldStockings and 5 others like this.
  7. slc

slc Senior Member

In what capacity are you in the track industry? Are you a trainer? Rider? Groom? Owner? Two dollar window?

I don't understand the desire to take a poll online as the same old arguments always come up. People who are anti-racing always show up and start flinging around half-truths and full lies.

I love horse racing. Always have since I was a little kid. Brave riders and wonderful horses in all forms of horse racing. As for 'abuses', it's heavily regulated and mostly a clean sport. People who don't play by the rules generally get caught fairly soon. I'm all for useful and reasonable regulation.

I thought for a long time I'd like to see fitness exams of the horses (televised) before the race, but in fact, many soundness problems that affect a horse at speed wouldn't show at a walk or trot. But I think it would be a good idea for the public.

Veterinary advances make racing safer and safer (make all horses safer), and much of what is discovered is applied beneficially to human medicine.

The media usually does a fair job of covering racing, but I'd like to see it on tv more, and I'd like to see more emphasis on backstories about the horses, jockeys and trainers. Get the public familiar with the horses, their habits, quirks and challenges. And especially cover the jockeys, many of whom have led absolutely incredible lives and are amazing people.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  8. Nu5ha

Nu5ha Senior Member

Love racing also. Some of our tekes do race, so really enjoy watching them go from babies to racehorses. When ever I have the time I always go down to maydan in dubai to watch the races or even the work outs when I can.

Arem and D_BaldStockings like this.
  9. Huckleberry777

Huckleberry777 Full Member

I love racing, there's Standardbred racing every week at a racetrack 5 minutes from my house and I love to watch. The power in those horses is amazing.

10. CJ

CJ Senior Member

IT is an industry worth Billions in consumerism & support services, individual states (even this small one).
    But it is the Cinderella'd-stepchild of sports in terms of respect, support, coverage and funding. So it suffers & struggles when not supported sufficiently (P/R & payments, not subsidies.)
    Ive been in barns with offsite/ track trainees. My grandfather worked the local tracks a clubhouse employee, not back/ barnside.
    The track paid millions in taxes annually and was considered an important icon locally, and historically. The stables and occasionally horses could be seen from the adjacent road, and nobody complained, not even about the manure piles (small and routinely removed.)
    The state started shortchanging tracks it (sports authority) didnt own on racing days and funds, and they suffered financially. Our closest is now an extensive shopping center, traffic nightmare, crowded eyesore imo. Theres a Home Depot where the rebuilt clubhouse used to be, which was glass brass, several stories and fairly elaborate.
    Horse racing is more interesting and has as much right as any other sport to exist and thrive. How the runners are treated are subject to regulations and individual morals. It can be safe and clean, depending on how they are raised and trained/ treated.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017