1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

horse purchasing

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by horseingreyflannelsuit, Apr 18, 2017.

1. horseingreyflannelsuit

horseingreyflannelsuit Senior Member

Yes, I would like to have a gaited horse. Icelandics were on the top of my list because of them being under 14 hands which in my case would be ideal for me height wise and stout enough to hold an adult comfortably. But the asking price has me having second thoughts on purchase. I really need something closer to 12 to 13 h. Something that is 15 hands and up is a problem mounting and dismounting. I don't need a serious show or eventing prospect. But at the same time I don't want a horse that needs to be babied due to its age, health or conformation issues. My spouse is ok with maybe finding something in the following states. California, Arizona, Utah, Nevada.

2. apndi

apndi Senior Member

I'm not sure about pricing and availability but have you thought about Paso Finos? They're the smoothest gaited horses I've ever ridden. With walkers you still move a little bit. With pasos its so smooth you don't even move. It's like riding in a car, LOL. They're typically 12-15 hands, I think around 14 is more common. They were bred to carry plantation owners (aka adult men) around their plantations in Puerto Rico all day every day so they'd be able to handle an adult. Anyone feel free to correct me on their history but I'm pretty sure that's what their original purpose was. I love the little guys, they have so much personality packed into their little bodies, not to mention their gaits :faint: if you can't get a hold of an Icelandic and can't handle the height of a walker (they're typically around 16 hands, though mine barely hits 15 so shorter ones are out there!) then I'd check out pasos next!

Or a gaited mule. Mules tend to be shorter than horses :D

3. horseingreyflannelsuit

horseingreyflannelsuit Senior Member

I would be interested in a mule. They are sooo cute and purdy too. There are some in the area, but haven't seen any short ones. The ones I have seen look to be 15 hands. What do their prices tend to run? Tell me more about mules. What do I look for and what do I avoid?

The current horse I have is 16 hands... i'm ready for something not quite so tall. Once I'm on, I have to find a mounting block to get down :rolleyes: A question about paso's. Is the under 14 hands common in paso's?

4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I don't know the complete history on Paso Finos, but I believe you're pretty close, if not completely accurate. I think most are fairly small, at least for me. 14.2 shouldn't be hard to find. Apparently, they're so smooth you can carry a drink on a good one and not spill it. I know they're probably more affordable, unless it's show quality, than an Icelandic primarily because there aren't many here.

I'm not into gaited horses, but I'd prefer a Paso Fino to an Icelandic..I'm not into all the hair and the price is up there.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017 at 10:04 PM
  5. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member

I believe that some Missouri Fox Trotters and Rocky Mountain Horses both tend toward the smaller side, though I agree that Paso Finos are the best bet.

Gaited mules are a good idea, but they are hard to find , as even a mule out of a gaited mare is more often than not, not gaited.

Also, though I've never investigated it much, but there are supposed to be gaited Mustangs out there.

And when you go to look at a horse: An easy way for a newbie to assess whether a gaited horse is gait-ing or trotting/pacing is this: watch a few videos of trotting horses. Focus on the fact that the front foot and the opposite sided hind foot move up and down at the same time. Then watch a video of a gaited horse. If you're looking at a gaiting horses legs, the front and rear foot won't be in exact sync. So, if you can't see a front foot and a hind foot moving in sync, then the horse is most likely gaiting.

6. Kitari

Kitari Senior Member

7. apndi

apndi Senior Member

What you look for in mules is basically the same as what you look for in horses. The good thing about mules is they tend to be tougher, less maintenance in terms of feed, more sound, and smarter than horses. The intelligence comes at a cost though(well it'll be a plus or a minus depending on what you like), they're more likely to test you and will test you more often than a horse will.

It seems like you live on the other side of the country from me. You said you were looking for horses in the southwest. I live in North Carolina. The gaited mules for sale in my area tend to run $1000-$3000. They could be more or less in your area depending on availability. I'm thinking they would be more plentiful there.

I'd say under 14 is fairly common in pasos. I've met quite a few and never saw one above 14.2 hands. Generally they'll be around 14, give or take a few inches.

Someone else suggested MFTs and Rockies. I've never met a MFT so can't say anything about them but I love Rockies! They do tend to the smaller side as well, though they're typically a little bit bigger than a paso and probably on the taller end of what you would want. They average 14-16 hands but all the pleasure bred ones I've met were 14-15. The saddleseat ones tend to be a little bigger in my experience. Finding a 14 hh one is definitely feasible if they're easy to find in your area.

So in your situation I'd keep an eye out for pasos and Rockies, and possibly gaited mules and a shorter walker. Like I said before, walkers do tend to be a little bit bigger but there are some short ones out there, mine barely hits 15 hh. :)

8. chy3792

chy3792 Senior Member

I agree with @apndi, also Spotted Saddle Horses also frequently come in smaller packages although if walkers are uncommon I would think they would be even more so. Most of my SSHs are double registered with TWHBEA but my gelding is only 14.3 and he is a normal size. A horse we traded last year was 13hh. They are out there, they just may be few and far between out your way.

9. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

There are Walking horse breeders out there breeding "Walking Ponies." Essentially, just a more fun sized Walker. I've thought about looking into them for my son.

10. CheyAut

CheyAut Senior Member

I have a 13.2h SSH mare, she's my favorite to ride :)
    I a!so have a 14h mare of unknown breeding who is an awesome gaiter but super green. Pretty sure she has walker in her.
    You're preferred height is mine as well, they're out there, just gotta keep looking.

I also have Icelandics. Two young ones, 1 old half blind girl, and 2 mares that were basically wild when I got them (one with a past injury so unrideable anyhow). I had a WONDERFUL 13h mare who was the best riding horse, but she was in her late 20's and we lost her a few months ago :(
    Trained Icies are not cheap, but are worth it! Foals typically run a few grand, then you have to wait for them to grow up and then train them. Wonderful breed though! Can't wait for my colt to be old enough to breakin a couple years :)