horse purchasing

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by horseingreyflannelsuit, Apr 18, 2017.

1. chy3792

chy3792 Senior Member

Correct, I've pretty much exclusively ridden gaited horses. I've probably ridden close to a hundred gaited horses between lessons and work and have NEVER ridden one that trotted (pace, yes). The gear after the walk should be a natural gait.

2. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

As far as the op, a horse like that wouldn't go for more than $500- $800 around here, if that. I had a TWH when I was a teenager and he both gaited and trotted, not paced. We jumped and he was fantastic.

3. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Horse prices are ridiculous in the state of MI currently. A mostly broke, gaited TWH would bring a minimum of $1,500.

That being said, two years ago I saw a 10 year old TWH, broke to ride, go through the auction for $200.

4. Kitari

Kitari Senior Member

Twit can trot and will in the pasture, she has done so once under saddle and I shut that down. The whole point of the breed is the gait. So if the horse in question is a walker without the gait then she would sell him easier as a grade horse, not necessarily for more money mind you.

5. chy3792

chy3792 Senior Member

Your not that far from me. I could sell one at that price for enough profit to make it worth the drive lol.

6. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I know, isn't it crazy?

7. horseingreyflannelsuit

horseingreyflannelsuit Senior Member

There's a few icelandics within driving distance that I can check out. The prices to me are too high for a horse to just go for a ride around my neighborhood on. I can understand something beginning at 5 grand and going up if your into competition where conformation and the amount of training is crucial. Is there such a thing as one of those being listed for half of that?

8. Kitari

Kitari Senior Member

If you're in the US, probably not. They aren't common at all and all the ones I've seen for sale have been minimum mid-5 figures.

You said the walker's ad was very basic. It is possible they are just terrible at writing an ad or like a friend of mine, who calls her walker's gait a trot on occasion. I would ask for pictures and a video if the price seemed appealing to me.

9. CJ

CJ Senior Member

We had a painted walking horse at camp that as I recall trotted and gaited. I know he was gaited, we all did, by the wobbling side to side motion he moved with, as opposed to more Up & down of the nongaiteds. His general conformation screamed TWH, big solid build, plain head.
    Price opinion for a sane, generic, greenbroke TWH? $500 off the cuff, more given a really good reason or less if severely compromised somehow, in build, condition or attitude.

10. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member

Are you looking specifically for a gaited horse? What area are you in?