1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

horse purchasing

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by horseingreyflannelsuit, Apr 18, 2017.

1. horseingreyflannelsuit

horseingreyflannelsuit Senior Member

What would you be willing to shell out for a 10 year old Tennessee walker that has just the basics, walk, trot, canter, and whoa.

2. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member

Depends on your area. Here (Alabama, close to Tennessee) TWHs are more plentiful than any gaited breed, and most any breed except QHs and Paints. I'd say base here is 600-800 dollars, maybe a little more if the conformation/breeding is something special.

3. chy3792

chy3792 Senior Member

I wouldn't pay anything for a Walker that had a trot under saddle. Assuming you meant it just has foundational training at 10 years and gaits the price largely depend on your area. I'm practically in the walking horse capital. There are plenty of variables.If it is a show horse it will depend on talent at the gaits it does and if it has a show history price can vary widely. If it is a trail horse unless is it a super flashy horse probably ~$800 or less. If it is none of the above AND trots under saddle they are probably not able to give it away. At least in my area.

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Not much. If I were to enjoy the breed, the same. Just started horses, which " just basic training" is I understand you mean, means the horse was inconsistently ridden and trained. Probably spent 99% of his time in pasture. Not worth over 500 bucks around here; they're a dime a dozen.

5. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

There are a heck of a lot of factors.
    *I* wouldn't pay a dime for a Walker, but that's b/c the breed doesn't fit my discipline/level of competition.

It depends on:
    bloodlines/papers
    conformation
    your area
    soundness/health

Way too many factors to consider so we would need a lot more info.

6. Kitari

Kitari Senior Member

Here in alabama, a 10 y/o walker that trots won't get much.

If he had a good gait on him and was consistent in how he rode, it would vary depends on how trail safe he was.

Twit is a walker. Walk, gait, lope, whoa. Gait could use some work but decent, and even if she gets pacey she is still pretty smooth (and that's all anyone around here cares about), 7 years old, 15hh. Trail safe, if she spooks it's in place, she will walk, gait, and lope solidly without losing her mind on a trail. I got her for $750.

A friend bought a walker, Not too sure on his training extent but he was shown several times, so walk, gait, and most likely lope under saddle, trail ridden a lot and a pretty solid mind. Multiple champs in his papers, tall dark and handsom. Less than 1k (I do know how much but won't say)

So a horse like in your description that doesn't gait with bare basics and no other info? I'd give maybe 300 for him if that.

7. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Probably anywhere in the three to five hundred range if their conformation was fair.

8. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

If the horse does trot as opposed to a running walk, rack, or stepping pace, IF it's a gelding as opposed to a mare, IF it is sweet natured and willing (ppor behavior acceptable as it's likely thanks to a human).

Meat price to give it a good home and see if I could get that d**n miserable trot out of it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  9. horseingreyflannelsuit

horseingreyflannelsuit Senior Member

Thank you all for your replies, they were helpful. :)

The person selling just put down the horse's age, height, gender, and breed. Didn't say anything in the ad about its abilities or training. Just a very generic "horse for sale" with a photo attached. So I made the assumption that the horse just knows the basics I've never ridden a walker, and didn't want to call the person without having an idea of what I should be looking for or what to avoid before I call. But now that a few things have been brought up in the thread, I do have a curious question.

Am I grasping this right? That a gaited horse (any gaited breed) should just naturally gait without being prompted?

10. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member

Yes. Gaiting is a genetic trait. Some horses do it a little more strongly than others, but essentially if they aren't "born with it" you can't train it into them.

Some horses gait so strongly that they will gait exclusively and never trot, even in the pasture. There's a gene that has been connected to gaitedness, and it is thought that they have two copies of it.

Some horses will gait, but revert to a trot if their larger shoulder movement is impeded, such as a saddle that doesn't fit so well. Or they may gait AND trot. This is common in ASBs as a "five gaited" breed, but also common are ASBs that don't gait at all. So it is thought that these trotting and gaiting horses have just one copy of a gaited gene.

But, I digress. If he gaits, it shouldn't be hard to get him to show it. If he doesn't, you 100% can't train him to.

manesntails likes this.