horse pond

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by LilyBelle, Dec 12, 2003.

1. LilyBelle

LilyBelle Registered

Okay, maybe i'm just a worried horse mom but i thought i would get ya'lls in put on this just for my sakes. We're about to build a new house and we'll have a large pasture :>Yesssss, we're thinking about putting a pond in the middle of the pasture, we've never done this before, is this safe for horses? If you have any stories or comments please let me know. Thanks. Maybe this will calm my horse mommie fears

2. Madeline

Madeline Senior Member

stagnant water sources are not good for horses. You should have some way of getting fresh new water in the pond(like a stream or something) other than that i dont know much about horses and ponds.

3. gingersnaps2002

gingersnaps2002 Banned

There are 2 ponds on my farm and they have stagnant water and the horses drink out of it but they are not hurt by it.if the water is really nasty,they probably wont drink out of it. As long as it is fairly clean,it will be fine.Horses usually enjoy getting in the water during the summer months.

4. Lou3

Lou3 Senior Member+

keep the pond clean and nice and shallow so the horses are ok to drink form it and if they do by any one-in-a-million chance slip into it its not difficult to get them out again. about waist deep for your smallest horse should about do it.
    Lou

5. Sandra-A1

Sandra-A1 Senior Moderator Staff Member

6. Catapultcomformation

Catapultcomformation Senior Member

At the barn we have a big pond in the pasture and sometimes our instructor makes us gallop through it. It has fountains in the middle so that the water is always moving and doesnt get stagnant. We take the horses swimming through it on hot days and they drink from it when they are lazy. its really fun to lay out on your horse bareback horse in the water ive done it on sitca and we both went to sleep!

7. Ride for the hills

Ride for the hills Full Member

as long as its shallow with non steep sides, also no sudden drops in the water and u keep it clean it should be fine
    keep fresh bucket water for them so theres an alternative if the water is bad they wont drink it unless there desperate so the buckets provide clean water

8. animal_madness

animal_madness Full Member

Like some of the others have said, you need to keep it clean.
    Owners should always try to prevent their horses from drinking stagnant water as it can cause Equine Leptospirosis (various strains). Leptospirosis can cause serious permanent damage to your horse and no matter how low the risk... there's still a chance the horse can catch the disease. (If you require more info on Leptospirosis and what causes it, PM me)
    You can ask your Vet to Vaccinate your horse against the disease, although I personally believe it is a waste of time. The Vaccination given is the 1 they use for Cattle and hasn't been approved for horses. IF the Vaccination works, it only gives VERY short term immunity. It would seem that keeping the water clean, free from infection/contamination is more suitable.

9. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

My friend had a stagnent pond, she would run a hose down to it and overflow it once a month. (we don't get much rain there). Helps a little. Plus fish in the pond helps as well keeping the bacteria load down, from what i've been told....

10. spyro1

spyro1 Senior Member+

Too funny, we are down here in FL where the water table is very high. We were actaully digging post holes and went too deep adn got water:) When we had our house west of town, we had a pond and never had any probs with the horses going actually into it, they would go down to drink adn play but never actually swam in it. Our ponds down here don't really get stagnant. Fountains are a good way to keep the water moving and circulating.