Horse Moving Off... Again

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by GONE ROPING, Mar 7, 2018.

1. GONE ROPING

GONE ROPING Senior Member+

So,last October I bought my now eight year old mare Desi. Some of you may remember the thread about what happened. Long story short I bought a lame horse and after a big mess I got Desi out of the deal and the gelding sent back. She had a few issues when I bought her but I had her sound and ready to go by that November and started learning how to rope off of her. The end of last March I started noticing that she seemed sore in her hind end somewhere. I could feel it in her stop. She was stopping with more weight on her right hind than her left. Nobody noticed it watching her move but I could feel it. Her chiropractor fixed her up and she was good to go. I rode her for a week or so after that and than she seemed quite a bit better, but then cut her face open to the bone and I didn't ride her again before I left for Alberta the middle of April.

The middle of October I came back home from Alberta. She had had about 6 months off. I started riding her and the first thing I noticed was that in a lope she was slightly bunny hopping behind when ridden in the left lead. Also, she would stop and immediately slightly move her hind end over towards the right. Which I found weird. I took her in to the vet and she unloaded off the trailer prancing around and was a complete mess and did not show any signs of lameness at all..:faint:(n) But she was all riled up the whole time and I think that had a lot to do with it. The only thing the vet caught was her left hind locking up a few time. So he diagnosed her with an upper pattellar fixation and recommended a lot of long trotting in straight lines.

We did xrays on her front legs and feet due to her being sore there also at that time. But that was due to her having not been trimmed correctly and my farrier straightened her right out and shod her and she was good to go. Her xrays came back fine as far as her front wheels go.

It was a few weeks till I rode her again due to me being thrown and back problems from it. But we did a lot of long trotting and after a couple weeks the catching in her left hind was gone and she could lope a left leaded circle with no bunny hopping and no catching. She still wasn't a tiny bit iffy in her stop though.

I started using a laser on her left stifle, hock, and on the pressure points that someone showed me and for the first time in a while I felt her actually stop on both hinds even weight. :cheerleader:

I started taking lessons on her again and my trainer thought she was looking fantastic. About a month and a half of consistent riding and lessons, my trainer said he no longer liked how she was moving. I didn't either. He never said where he thought she was sore. And I wish I would of asked. Fast forward to now and she lunges out sound and trots out sound....

Sorry about the wall of words guys:( But I am really down about this. After my last lesson my mom had a heart attack and open heart surgery and I've been swamped with work and had no time to deal with this. I've to stressed to even think about it till now. But as of now she is moving sound. But I am going to figure out what is going on because I know something is wrong.

I'm dreading taking her to the vet because I know I'll haul her all the way up there and she will prance right on out of the trailer and never move off once..... !!!!!!!!BUT SHE IS GOING TO THE VET!!!!!!! I'm trying to get my game plan arranged.

-----Any ideas on what it could be? Any advice? ------------

I just want my crazy mare ok..

I may end up taking her to my trainers first to let her see her, cause he's got a good eye for that kind of stuff. And let him give me advice on as far as where the best place to haul to would be and see what he thinks of the situation. Because I have a tendency to freak out and speed to the vet, throw money around right and left, and not get ANYWHERE.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. GONE ROPING

IMG-20180307-WA0001.jpeg Screenshot_20180307-105017.png Screenshot_20180307-105002.png pics of my baby as thanks for reading that mess!!!!!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

I'd like to see hoof pictures, barefoot after trim before shoes out on... And video of just her and a video of you riding. Could be feet, soft tissue, you when riding, etc. Etc. No way to say without a lot more info. Sorry about your mom. Lots of hugs

4. GONE ROPING

If I got hoof pictures this afternoon of her with shoes would that help at all? She was just reset a week ago. If I can I want to ride tonight and get a video. But not sure there will be someone here to sit with my mom for me. I may have some old ones somewhere. But I can't for the life of me ever figure out how to upload a video on here:blushing: But I'll try again. Maybe this time will be the charm. If I do get videos I will pm them to you though.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

We can try to critique with the shoes on, but it's usually hard to tell. I'll definitely try. Ok, pm me videos if you want. I'll be glad to help you.

mooselady and GONE ROPING like this.
  6. GONE ROPING

I'm sitting here at the hospital bored and I've been doing a lot of thinking. Which isn't exactly always a good thing..

So my farrier and I were talking about my mares problem and he pointed out that she toes out more on her left hind. That is also the side that I am concerned is the problem. So my question is, how normal is it for a horse to toe out more with one leg than the other? Is that normal?

My brain wants to say no it's not. But I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning and I am very short on sleep due to this hospital business..

I haven't had time to get videos yet. My life has been crazy. But I'm going to post a few pics that shows what I'm talking about

7. GONE ROPING

Screenshot_20180308-004011.png IMG-20180307-WA0051.jpeg
    Please excuse all the pool paraphernalia behind her.. That was the flattest surface I could find when I took those pics awhile ago

8. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

How far out from a trim was she at the time these were taken?

Because....they are longer than I'd like to see, unless it was right before the next trim.

Take a deep breath, start with the easy stuff before you get overwhelmed. Want me to PM you some feet stuff to read up on to keep you occupied?

GONE ROPING likes this.
  9. GONE ROPING

She did need a trim there. Would you mind doing that? I would love that!!

10. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Fitness can really make a difference. How fit is she? Sounds like she goes to pot when you're not riding as much.

Is she on turnout?

I have a horse with intermittent hind end lameness. We've done everything from injecting hocks, injecting, stifles, injecting SI to stem cell on the soft tissue in the SI. None of it solved the issue.

I would start with a lameness exam that starts from the ground up. Block out feet and keep blocking until she's sound.

The next step I would take is to look at things like PSSM and EPSM, maybe Lyme sidewall like disease.

GONE ROPING likes this.