horse lice

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by babs, Mar 18, 2004.

1. babs

babs Senior Member

can horse lice get on people?
    i know if a horse has lice you would't use the brush you used on it on another horse and you use powder on the horse and its blankets.
    also if i have to handle a horse with lice can i give it to my horse?
    thanks

2. Elia

Elia Senior Member

errm. sorry can't help you there... I didn't know horses could get lice... eek! you probably shouldn't though, 'cause, yeah...

<small>[ March 18, 2004, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: Elia ]</small>

3. ::Miss Kitty::

::Miss Kitty:: Senior Member+

Every horse should have their own grooming kit, but I think that lice could possibly be passed to people. I'd be extra careful!

4. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

If I remember correctly, people can not get horse lice.

5. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

I don't think horse lice is transmitted. MANGE is, but not lice. Or so I remember.

6. lilmisscowgrl

lilmisscowgrl Senior Member

There are two types of lice chewing and biting. They tend to live around the mane and tail area and they live off of skin cells or the sucking kind live off of blood. The blood sucking lice can live in the main and tail and on the inner thigh. They can cause bald spots and red raw irritated areas. If your horse is infested that may cause your horse to become anemic. Horses can not get lice from cows,nor can they give them to people. However, they can get them from poultry. The best way to get rid of the problem is to first find out where they came from. You will need to treat not only the live lice, but the eggs as well. Contact a vet to find the best solution to use. Not only will you have to treat the animals but everything that it came in contact with ie saddle pads, stalls etc.

7. probarrelracer

probarrelracer Senior Member+

This is true. Lice are species specific. Lice that live on one animal cannot move to another animal and survive. I think that they can live about a week on another host, but will soon die.

8. CANDYGIRL

CANDYGIRL Senior Member+

When I was a kid, I was loving Candy. My head was itching so much I started to cry and asked Dad to take me home. My mom checked my hair and it was crawling with Lice off Candy.

She took me to the chemist to get something - she asked the pharmacist if they would hurt me, he said NO, they would drop out and die - horse lice can't live on humans - he told her to nit comb them out - because they are bigger than human head lice this was easy.

I remember that experience as if it was yesterday, and it was over 30 years ago. They looked like little cockroaches to me at that age -YUK bawling

Dad de-loused Cand and all the other ponies cute_kis

9. spyro1

spyro1 Senior Member+

Thanks guys, I am itching just thinking about those nasty critters..... eek! Ack, I have never had to deal with horse lice before, my daughter, however, got it when she was in Kindergarten, not fun, I called the DR, asking him all sorts of questions, no, human lice cannot be transmitted to animals, not horses, dogs or cats. Ugh, nasty little things.....*itching now*....

10. CANDYGIRL

CANDYGIRL Senior Member+

Spyro LOL, in fact ROFLOL :D

I can't stop scrathing my head now. :D

I will never forget that as long as I live - my Mom still brings it up now. I sware to a kid, the horse lice look sooo big(she says scrathing her head - I feel like things are crawling now - YUK)

Made me smile and ITCH - Running to wash hair blushing