Horse is down and can't get back up?!?!!!!!

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by WesternRider22, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

That I don't know if I quoted someone, I'm awful tired. I just know reality and and an aged an dying horse should have had immediate relief. I think you do also. I really don't know fully the circumstances, but I'd have knocked anyone down who wouldn't have not let me put that horse to sleep. It cannot believe they let them lay there till the next day. I'm not as "nice" as I seem when it comes to BS.

mooselady likes this.
  2. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

100% in agreement.

I managed a therapy barn where we owned a few and leased the rest of our 15ish horses. We had one mare who was old (people said 20s for the longest time and then started saying 30s but who knows) that had been through a ton. Had been retired, abused, came back to our barn, got COPD, sight issues, weight issues, etc. Everyone wanted to keep trying diet after diet to keep weight on but she barely did. They wanted to keep her around for THEIR sake and their hearts. NOT for the sake of the horse.

One weekend while I was the only one there, as I was turning in, I found the mare down in the field and she couldn't get up on her own. I managed to help pull her up after almost 15 minutes of tugging and got her to the barn. I called the vet that day and scheduled for her to be PTS the next day, sent everyone an email that night and said "There's no discssion, Star is getting PTS tomorrow. Come say your goodbyes."

I raised a huge stink and lots of people weren't happy with me but it was the best interest for the poor mare.

3. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

I also have made that decision already with my old girl, River. She wintered a bit hard this year, I've finally got her at a nice weight again, but if she doesn't keep weight on next winter, she will probably be PTS. She's a difficult mare when it comes to ground manners, she has a lot of issues with her feet, and I am good at dealing with her, and will feed her as long as she keeps weight on, but I know that if I sell/rehome her, she will not have someone as willing with her issues. So I'm just playing it month by month until the time comes.

Also just did a client's horse who is extremely picky to eat, will NOT keep weight on (she just got him a month ago) and she's on his last chance basically.He needed a TON of incisor work and low and behold, two days after I did his teeth, he's eating like he never has before! But she has given him a limit, and for old horses, there is nothing wrong with that.

Alsosusieq2 and Larkspade like this.
  4. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

I never said anything about the vet being obligated to attend a horse for free. I would fully expect a vet to bill the owner for their services and chase up any outstanding debt afterwards.

Anyway, it sounds as though there are some holes in the OPs story. It's unclear what the timeline is, what was said to the vet, and why no other vets were called. Terrible outcome for the horse. I hope anyone reading this has a good long think about the exit plan for their oldies to prevent a situation like this from occurring.

mooselady likes this.
  5. slc

slc Senior Member

Most of the time, if one is pretty on top of the horse's health, it's obvious the horse's time is coming some weeks or even months before it's necessary to put the animal down. There's time for some quiet discussion about what's going on medically, and what the owner's wishes are. And most of the time, it's possible to make arrangements well before the time comes, be prepared for the cost, etc. When I had to put down my old horse, I talked to the vet and the removal service several weeks before. Everyone was very respectful and kind. It was very quiet and peaceful, and most of all, the horse was relaxed and peaceful. I was very grateful I was able to give him that.

Baboo, NaeNae, ginster and 1 other person like this.