Horse is down and can't get back up?!?!!!!!

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by WesternRider22, Jul 6, 2018.

1. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

Even if there was an outstanding vet bill, surely it's illegal for a vet to refuse humane euthanasia to an animal that's suffering?

2. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

:eek:

foxtrot and Arem like this.
  3. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

I once stopped on the highway to help a horse whose hind leg had been strangulated beyond hope in fence. It was cut to the bone all the way around and had gone way too long without blood supply. I called Highway Patrol who called the vet. Vet showed up and stuck his bare fingers into the mangled mess. Said there was no wire still in his leg, and there was nothing he could do. He drove off before the owners arrived. He knew full well that horse should've been put down but still drove away. Maybe he was required to show up since the law called him, but he didn't do the horse any favors.

4. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

That is horrendous. Most of the vets I know will bend over backwards to help animals. I've seen our local vet giving a dummy foal CPR for almost half an hour while waiting for equipment to arrive from another vet practice. Sadly the foal couldn't be saved but still, the level of commitment and dedication was inspiring. There are definitely some dodgy vets out there who I wouldn't trust to treat a goldfish let alone a horse, but the majority are extremely passionate about animals.

foxtrot, ginster and Larkspade like this.
  5. slc

slc Senior Member

Each case is different. In the US, many states have 'duty to treat' laws, but these can apply to the owner of the animal OR the vet. It depends on how the law is worded and the situation. If one vet could not come at dinner time, then another vet could have been called. In the OP's area, there are at least a dozen equine vets.

In this case, I don't know as I think a lot of information is left out. But I believe that the owner of the animal might be the guilty party here. Another vet could have been called. The horse could have been euthanized. That might cost $300, but it generally costs at least that for a month or two of keeping a horse. So in fact that should be affordable. Or a farmer neighbor could have put the horse down with a shot.

Probably the parents rather than the OP would go to court, but still. Not pretty. An animal was down without shelter or treatment for over 24 hours. Maybe more; we don't really know.

In many US states, animal cruelty laws are a joke because there is no enforcement. We took a pony out of a barn - we bought him so we could take him out - there were at one point 100 ponies or more there in the same horrendous condition. Nothing was done by the authorities. We asked why. We were told - because there were worse cases they had to address first.

I have a hard time imagining what the worse cases were, but very few states can confiscate 100 horses at a crack.

StraightandTrue and ginster like this.
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

States do not confiscate ANYTHING. Each jurisdiction's police force determines whether animal control, or a horse rescue is called. There's no State prosecution, it would be local prosecution and unless it's bad enough, the cops feel like they have better stuff to do. No place to put the horse? They leave it where it is with a warning and even if they do threaten to come back and check on it, they rarely do.

Vets do NOT have to provide services to those who owe them money or to any animal that nobody has agreed to pay the bill for. Since when do vets have to provide free service? No other Doctor will. No free Dental or Doctor unless it is an organized team that does that at a scheduled time. You can't just call up a medical professional and expect them to give you for free what they went to school to get paid for.

Is it great that some will? Yeah. Should it be expected? Certainly not.

No Vet is going to blow off a colicy horse. He might say: “ Get him up and walk him and I will be there right after I finish eating.“ I would believe that. Colics can't wait until tomorrow. Vet's won't respond to a colic call with “see ya tomorrow.“

7. slc

slc Senior Member

8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

My family would have killed me for calling a vet out for an aged horse that was down and dying. We would have immediately put them out of their misery though. It's mathematics on financial value.

I have no interest in this post, except I'm sorry. Don't really care one way or the other except the horse should have been put down immediately. My opinion.

9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You responded to and quoted a post where the member said that it was, surely, illegal for a vet to refuse humane euthanasia to an animal, with a link that deals with OWNERS refusing treatment (among other things) to the animal.
    Nothing was discussed about Vets being required to perform services for free.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. slc

slc Senior Member

I'm not ready to blame the vet unless I am really sure the urgency of the situation actually got communicated to the vet. Even then he or she can refuse to come out if someone says they can't pay or have a big outstanding balance.