Horse Hooves...

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Emily Richardson, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Emily Richardson

Emily Richardson Registered

So I just had the farrier out for my haflinger gelding.... My gelding has not ever had great feet (a common haflinger trait), but what he told me isn't great. So my gelding has worn most of the bottom of his feet (fronts especially) off... He is clearly uncomfortable on any sort of rock, and is only comfortable on soft surfaces.

***Background information***-He'd been at my mother's house for the past 4 yrs, on basically no rock or super rough surface, and had been on grass 98% of the time. He only received trims, and wasn't being ridden. In August I moved him to a barn with a 8 acre pasture (grassy with a few rocky areas, but is by no means it's not like he's been totally shifted in environment standards.) I've been doing the hunter pace trail at the barn 2-3 times a week, with the occasional ride in the arena thrown in there.

So my gelding is uncomfortable and I want to fix it. I am going to have another farrier out this week to get a second opinion... I'm also in the process of switching anyways.

He says there's not enough hoof to nail a shoe to, and when my gelding had them in the past he often threw them. He also proposed glue on shoes, and just boots to help his hooves stay protected yet still grow out...

I'm looking for any and all recommendations-boot brands, hoof supplements, shoeing, and anything else that could help.

Thanks everyone!

2. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

As far as boots if you go that route I can recommend Renegades, I use both the classics and the vipers, as well as a friend has scoot boots.
    I love my Renegades, use them on my gelding when I'll be putting a lot of miles on and I use them on the mare that foundered.
    A lot of it comes down to the shape of the hoof as far as which boot will work best but ime the scoot boits and renegades are the most forgiving to a not so perfect hoof as well as to both ends of the trim cycle.

I can't comment on the farrier without having seen the hooves myself so I'll refrain.

DelP likes this.
  3. slc

slc Senior Member

Actually I think the horse needs to be seen by a vet and xrays taken of his feet to see what is going on.

ginster likes this.
  4. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

I second that. A good vet with xrays and a great farrier = a comfortable horse.

ginster likes this.
  5. palogal

palogal Senior Member

You're fighting a multi-sided battle with a heavy breed like a halfie and bad feet. I would look at this from all different sides. Is his diet appropriate? If he's got bad feet, you don't want to put excess weight on him, for example. Does he have enough protein, biotin etc to help him? If he's a pony sized halfie you're in founder territory too and might be anyway, which leads to the x-rays already suggested. If he's got rotation and/or inflammation in the feet, you need to get on that as soon as you can to keep him comfortable and try to slow the progress. It could just be that I'm paranoid, but I've seen more than one horse with "bad feet" that is actually foundered, which doesn't occur to a lot of owners unless they have ponies.

6. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

Get x-rays done to rule out anything more serious. It's hard to do any kind of therapeutic trimming if you don't know what's going on with the bone structure. I would also rule out cushings if the horse is older as haffies are very prone to it and it can manifest through the feet as well.

7. slc

slc Senior Member

I get really concerned when the solution is to just put hoof boots on the horse. It's very important to see what's going on in those feet.

My main concern is that you're not looking at 'hooves being worn down' at all, but repeated bouts of laminitis and sole depth reducing due to rotation. It's very, very important to find out what's up. Bouts of laminitis call for a restricted and specialized diet, weight loss, specialized trimming of the hooves, a change in shoeing, and possibly even no pasture time.

8. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Farriers Formula.
    Glue on shoes work well if applied correctly.

9. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Can you share some pics? Would be interesting to see.

waresbear likes this.