Horse help!

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by reni, Nov 28, 2017.

?

Am I doing something wrong?

1. Yes!

13 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. reni

reni Registered

I have a 5 year old quarter horse, he is my baby and ive had him for a year now. I'm a beginner to training. on the ground he listens to me and does whatever i want. But he's a lazy and never wants to run unless i have whip him and i know some people dont see that at as a problem but i have to constantly keep hitting him with my barrel whip. i had a friend come mess with him and after a while he did good,next day i got on and he ran when i asked stopped and was just perfect. next day he wouldnt do a thing but throw his head. maybe im doing something wrong, we also have a ottb 5 year old mare they are attached to the hip. but like i said hes my baby and i dont wanna give up.

2. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Short answer: yes, you are doing it wrong. How do you know? Horse isn't doing what you want. It really is that simple.
    You appear to be a minor, so that makes the standard advice of 'get a trainer' a bit more complicated. . . How supportive are your parents? Would they fund or allow you to work and fund sending him to a trainer for a month or two while you get lessons? That would be the best thing for both you and the horse. Failing that, what about a trainer to visit every couple of weeks or even once a month to help and guide you?

ginster, greenpaintpony and reni like this.
  3. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Obviously, the hitting is not working, So stop hitting the horse.

You need to learn how to ride him. He may or may not be well trained. Or he could be sour from your lack of ability.

Either way YOU need a trainer.

4. Larkspade

Larkspade Senior Member

Have you checked saddle fit and all pain possibilities? When is the last time his teeth were done? If you have checked all pain possibilities, you are going to need a trainer.

ginster and reni like this.
  5. heartland

heartland Senior Member

Please get help from a competent trainer.

manesntails likes this.
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Just going off of what you said, your choice of words, you are doing quite a number of things wrong.

You need someone to mentor you in horsemanship.

GONE ROPING and reni like this.
  7. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Get some lessons before you ride this horse again. He's obviously telling you you're doing something wrong. Lessons are a good place to start.

ginster and reni like this.
  8. reni

reni Registered

I understand. I’m 16 I’ve been riding horses for 4 years now. I know how to ride, I just struggle with making the horse listen while I’m in the saddle. There’s some days he listen and some he doesn’t. I need help in horsemanship and my parents have contacted a couple trainers, thank you to everyone who replied!

9. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

These statements don't quite add up.....

NBChoice, GONE ROPING and ginster like this.
  10. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Good to hear! I hope you update us with your progress! WHat are your goals with your horse?