horse HATES being dewormed!!! Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by Sarai, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Sarai

Sarai Senior Member

Well. I have an 11yo rescue that CANNOT handle being dewormed!!! She will rear to get away from it, yet she still needs it! I can't afford to keep wasting wormer this way; anybody have suggestions? PLEASE don't be shy! ;)

2. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Get a cup of applesauce, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, table spoon of sugar and stir the ivermectin wormer into it the. Put this on top of the horses grain/pellets

You can also buy the safeguard pellets which most horses readily eat when mixed with grain/pellets.

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Horses do that because they know they can. They've done it with people before and gotten away with it. Since you aren't that experienced with handling horses, it's better to go to tractor supply and buy a big fat syringe that has no needle on it. Like this one. Ideal Instruments 20cc Luer Lock Syringe - For Life Out Here
    [​IMG]
    Cut the tip right off so you have a large opening. Put your finger over the opening and fill it with applesauce, then insert the plunger. Now, don't stick it in her mouth, put some applesauce from the syringe into your hand. Let her lick it. She's gonna like it and look for more. When you put more of it into your hand, you're squirting it in there with the syringe. Next she gets to lick the syringe. Then you stick it in the side of her mouth, not that same day, but the next after she's WANTING what's in there. Do that for a few days in a row then you can just put some applesauce on the end of the paste wormer, stick it in the side of her mouth, after she's used to you doing that with the applesauce, grab her chin and hold it up, so she doesn't put her head down to spit the wormer out, and rub her throat with your other hand. Voila' wormed.

Then give her more applesauce from the syringe. After that, a couple times a week, dose her from the syringe with applesauce so she's none the wiser.

4. Mofoxtrotter

Mofoxtrotter Senior Member

5. sunrisegurl146

sunrisegurl146 Senior Member

I did exactly what manes said. Now my mare looks for the syringe.

Took a couple of days but it was worth it. I can deworm my horse lol

Alsosusieq2 and manesntails like this.
  6. prairiesongks

prairiesongks Senior Member

The applesauce trick that Manes posted works, is easy and cheap, and can be used when dosing any meds that are in a tube such as bute. Just buy the generic unsweetened applesauce at the grocery store. Applesauce also works for mixing in medicated powder or crushed pills with the horse's feed---mix the medication with the applesauce, then add that to the horse's grain.

7. coloredcowhorse

coloredcowhorse Senior Member

Similar to Manes suggestions.....I've used applesauce and mixed a bit of molasses with it. Used a catheter tipped 60cc syringe and left the tip on it (wider than injection syringes). If horse was really spooky and not allowing handling of mouth I'd put loaded syringe in a bucket with some grain...to get the grain he/she had to move the syringe around with lips/tongue so was getting used to it touching without any fight with me. Next step was to hold the syringe and rub lips with it and do a little squirt of sauce on lips whenever possible....soon (one to two days with 2-3 x /day for 3-4 minutes at a time) the horse was happy to have that thing around his mouth as he got the applesauce when it was there. Next was simply slip the tip into the corner of mouth and give small squirt, repeat several times until he was looking for it. Ended up with horses that would follow me around in up to 165 acres to get dewormed if they saw me carrying syringes out there.

8. Sarai

Sarai Senior Member

Duh me! Why didn't I think of that?! One of mom's favorite sayings is "Honey catches more flies than vinegar!" How airheaded can you get?

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Absolutely accurate and stress free, works like a charm -!!

10. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Weell. You now know, you'd never think of it otherwise. Many great tips here. :)

Sarai likes this.