Horse has squirts :(

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by RedHeadMare, Sep 27, 2017.

1. RedHeadMare

RedHeadMare Full Member

Her poop is normal but she has liquid poop that comes out after the manure or when she lets out gas. Otherwise healthy and happy. Any ideas on how to stop this or what the cause could be? Her tail is gross but at least she isn't getting it on her skin.

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Check her for sand in her gut. Put a ball of fresh poop in a baggie and add water. Let it dissolve. The sand will go to the bottom.

tlwidener, Varisha and DocsLglyBlonde like this.
  3. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

Was it here that someone posted they saw their horse eat a Tarantula spider? Horse colicked 3 days later

4. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Sand is definitely possible, as is hind gut ulcers. Did anything change? New hay? My guy had this for months until I read someone treated for hind gut ulcers which cured it. Sure enough, two tubs of Equisure later, it was all gone and hasn't been back! His was set off by some diet changes I believe.

PyroTekNik333 likes this.
  5. LeenieBean

LeenieBean Senior Member

transition heat?my mare gets the squirts early in the spring and late in the fall with her heat cycle. really bad. I have a "scrub her bum" bucket handy every time I visit.

Varisha and DocsLglyBlonde like this.
  6. slc

slc Senior Member

This is colitis. The job of the colon is to soak up that extra liquid. If it comes out after manure there is usually something wrong with the colon. 'Colitis' is a general word for inflammation(irritation, swelling, etc) of the colon, from whatever cause. It could be due to a problem with the diet, an infection caused by an illness, and there are other causes.

My mare has colitis. In her case it's due to one of four very similar inflammatory diseases. She gets a 'complete' diet as she can't digest hay. At some point she'll need to be on prednisone.

Not possible to tell what's the issue in your horse's case. Time to have a vet out. Losing fluids is not good.

7. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

It could be worms (when did you last worm, with what and when was last fecal ?) of could be changing of seasons or heat cycle. I would make sue she is eating plenty of long stemmed forage and add some soaked beet pulp with no molasses shreds (just a couple of cups) as a prebiotic. I would watch it and consult with vet as needed.

8. ginster

ginster Senior Member

There is another member who posted something similar a few months ago...I am flunking out on their user name but the horse is a gorgeous black or bay tobiano warmblood gelding, Totoro?
    Does anyone know who I mean? That thread was very informative.

9. XxLiveToRidexX

XxLiveToRidexX Senior Member

There was an article posted about this and it sometimes being linked to ulcers.

10. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

The colitis can be caused by several issues and finding the issue for this horse is key. It could be sand, parasites, diet, ulcers, allergies and on and on. If not treated it can get much worse over time as more damage and scaring in the colon occurs.

I have a gelding that can't digest hay due to scaring in his hind gut from chronic ulcers before we got him and he is on a complete senior pellet.
    I have a mare that gets hind gut acidosis from feeds over 12% NSC, I am feeding her Teff/Alfalfa.
    I have a gelding that goes out in his run and eats sand/gravel and he gets treated with Assure Guard Gold.

So as you can see its not 1 cause and not as simple as 1 solution, work closely with your vet to see what is causing the issue in your horse.

DelP and Varisha like this.