Horse gets cast in the snow

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by hayburnerheights, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Can you get her one heavy blanket that fits? Sounds like too much material.

2. slc

slc Senior Member

It's unlikely that the problem is the blanket, but you can always get an anti-cast girth for her. They have a sturdy hoop on the top and that prevents them from getting cast.

BEVAL LTD Anti-Cast Roll Girth - NEW $357.50 - Made in England | eBay

If you do get an anticast girth be sure to always put some padding under it. A folded English saddle pad will usually do the job. Some people use a 'baby pad', some are thick enough to provide the necessary padding.

if it is the blanket it probably doesn't fit closely enough and you won't get a different blanket, a plain roller would resolve that.

A regular elastic surcingle(just stretchy material with no padding) probably wouldn't be enough, but a longeing surcingle with the rings cut off would do the job.

3. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

Interesting this subject has come up.

I rarely blanket but they are both early 20's and the last few days have been windy with sleeting rain and we're below freezing. 28(F) on a day like that is not the same as 28(F) on a full sunshine day with no wind.

One of the horses wanted to roll --- found a suitable spot and dropped down. He proceeded to sit there for a minute, evidently having second thoughts. He got back up without making any attempt to roll and I blamed it on the blanket.

This horse loves to roll sometimes 2-3 times daily. Yesterday and today are the first its been miserable enough in three years for him to wear a blanket. I figured the feel of it must have made him unsure so he gave up. He's been caught in a fence a couple times in his life and will stay quiet until someone comes after him, so I figure he felt compromised to roll with the blanket on.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. hayburnerheights

hayburnerheights Senior Member

this is what we are going to try (one heavy blanket). The 2 blankets we have on her fit pretty good, I just think its too much material

5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Worth a shot. ;)

6. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

If you had to kick the snow away, then it's a packy kind of snow. A light fluffy dry snow would have just dispersed the moment she plopped down. So there was an obstruction.....and it was snow.

That's my take on it. I've had horses blanketed in 3+ blankets when we've hit our coldest and hadn't had enough heavy weights for everyone. Never has one cast. So that's my thought, but none the less I hope you find it. Some horses are just naturally prone for doing dumb things & getting stuck - worked with a mare like that, she was sold pretty quickly. lol

NaeNae, ginster, kodemiester and 2 others like this.
  7. slc

slc Senior Member

I doubt it's the blanket.

We're huge blanketers and I've seen horses lay down and roll and get up even when the blanket shifts around so much they stand up and it's hanging off one shoulder.

Even in very bulky blankets that slide around, horses can and do manage to roll extremely well in snow.

If the horse is sound and not weak behind he can compensate for whatever any blankets do.

If the blanket doesn't fit or isn't properly secured, he may have a wardrobe malfunction moment in which he says, 'I'm not going to move until someone comes over and fixes that leg strap, it's rubbing my sensitive little thigh.' My friend's horse would not take a single step if she strapped the chest straps too tight, for example. She'd stand out in the aisle and say, 'I don't care WHAT you say, this is too tight and I'm not doing squat til you fix it.'

If blankets shift around too much to be comfortable when a horse rolls, they need to be secured with a surcingle or anti-cast roller, leg straps, or by adjusting the chest and other straps so the blanket doesn't shift and cause discomfort. If the blanket fits poorly then it needs to be replaced.

8. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I have seen horses unable to rise from a poor fitting blanket, or a blanket that does
    not have leg straps. The horse gets a hock or a foot on the blanket and they pin themselves down.

I won't buy a blanket without leg straps and I always cross them. I also avoid blankets that are too deep, or too long.

ginster and manesntails like this.
  9. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

I'm glad you caught it and there were no ill effects. I am also convinced more than ever I will be sad and a totally helicopter owner if I ever have to blanket one of mine.