Horse gets cast in the snow

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by hayburnerheights, Jan 13, 2018.

1. hayburnerheights

hayburnerheights Senior Member

Need to solve a disagreement between me and my daughter, We have a teenage mare that has now cast herself twice in the snow. Both times she had winter blankets on. Snow was about 8-10"

I let the mare out with her blankets on and first thing she did was lay down to try to roll and got stuck with legs in the air. I was like OMG horse and went and got her unstuck. This horse was born and raised in this area so snow is nothing new to her

I am thinking its the blankets that are culprit - daughter says no.

thoughts

2. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Have your blankets been washed recently? Does she get a good brush out before blanket goes on? Does the blanket fit?

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

No, not the blanket. It's the snow is too dense so that when she rolls, she packs it into a bank which she can not roll all the way over onto. Seen it happen with dense snow and NO blanket.

You might want to plow a paddock for her. We did that with ours in the winter.

gaitedboomer and greenpaintpony like this.
  4. hayburnerheights

blankets fit fine and are clean - not stiff

5. hayburnerheights

Snow is fluffy this morning, not the wet sticky stuff that packs.

6. manesntails

Then she can rolll alll the way over. If there is nothing stopping her from rolling over, then she might be having a seizure and staying four feet to the moon on purpose.
    Horses can't GET cast without there being a what?
    Obstruction.

7. hayburnerheights

I really think the blanket is preventing her wiggling from being effective, She wiggles but it doesn't transfer to the blanket wiggling in the snow to move it around. the good thing is she did it right in front of me so I could kind of get a idea of what was happening, She also gives up super quick, it was like she just said after a couple trys "Im done" and just let out a helpless nicker to her buddies. It didn't take a whole lot for me to get her up. I just kicked the snow out away from her and pushed a couple time to get her over off her back.

8. manesntails

Then the blanket's too big.
    She can't wiggle and not move it with her without there being too much room between her and the blanket.

9. hayburnerheights

I will go out and take a photo in a bit, its on snug, wonder if its too much bulk, she is double blanketed (which everyone seems to do around here).

I am not a blanket fan in general and I really doubt she needs it as she has a full winter coat and a run in shed. But its not my horse.
    I just don't want something bad to happen, we almost lost her last year in to the same situation (again she was double blanketed). My daughter found her stuck at feeding time

10. manesntails

Old horses need blankets in winter. They can't keep warm, their metabolisms are not at optimum levels in old age, their immune system is declining, and they will lose weight and go right down hill.

OldGreyMare likes this.