Horse feeds certified per the FEI banned substances list(two horses drug test for Ractopamine)

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by slc, Apr 9, 2017.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

I just noticed that Adrienne Lyle's and another horse that had a positive drug test supposedly tested positive to an FEI banned substance due to feed contamination with Ractopamine(sometimes used in cattle feed).

I have been searching to see if any American horse feed offers a certification for being free from FEI banned substances.

My understanding is that such feeds are available in other countries. But I don't see any indication of such a feed being available n the US.

2. pamnbam

pamnbam Senior Member

Yes, there were actually three horses that tested positive. I don't know of any companies that certify their feed/supplements free of FEI banned substances, but that would sure be a handy thing if they did to help prevent cases like this. I like how Smartpak will at least give a consumer warning that it could test, based on the ingredients. That's about the closest thing I've seen. I'm not sure if in re-testing the sample they can do a chemical analysis to further find out whether it's truly a banned substance or if it's a chemical lookalike. They can do GCMS, at least in human drug testing, to distinguish the difference. But if is ractopamine, it is definitely a problem if the feed is getting contaminated and I'm not sure if there's a way (short of having a "certified FEI banned substance-free" facility) to prevent it.

3. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

This is exactly why I use mccauleys. I don't care about FEI or banned substances, but I do care if my horse feed is contaminated because xyz company is producing all kinds of different feeds on the same equipment. Mccauleys has the only equine only food mill in the United States.
    Ractopamine shouldn't be in ANY feed. Gross...usually given to pigs or cattle and even turkey to increase protein synthesis. And we wonder why everyone is so sick. Just look at the crap allowed in our food...not to mention it's being given to an other sentient being. Fda, you suck.

4. slc

slc Senior Member

The question is about feeds in the US certified for the FEI banned substances list.

There are feed companies in Europe that test every bag and every bag is certified free of FEI banned substances.

5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I have never known of any. Blue's response was pertinent to the substance you mentioned as that facility only processes horse feed, none for cattle, pigs etc. Although it isn't advertising that pertinent to the FEI regulations. Nice to know Blue.

6. slc

slc Senior Member

Things are very different in other countries. I don't think some of the products we permit in cattle and other feeds are allowed om cattle and other feeds elsewhere.

But the problem is this - in the FEI competitions if even small traces of FEI banned substances are found in a horse the Person Responsible(rider, usually) can be suspended from competing for a long time.

7. Nu5ha

Nu5ha Senior Member

All I know in the UAE most horses on the endurance tracks are run with all sort of substances in them and very rarely do they get reprimanded, I'm talking about the individual stables or riders who ride/run these horses. We don't have a serious dressage scene here and no one tests anything on the dressage circuit, so horses can be fed any and all banned substances I know there are horses been competed on bute there. Show jumping is a little different here and yes they are tested when it comes to the big international shows, that have a lot of international riders. All our food is imported apart from one local mill called zabeel and most of the local stables feed from that mill. What the food has in it I don't know I don't feed it. It's basically a sweet feed, very low quality and people have found all kinds of things in it. The UAE in general is so far behind on everything equine. I remember there was a guy from Germany coming to give a talk about horse feed and supplements, at quite a big local competition stables and all anyone cared about was asking what can they inject or give to make the horse run faster, very FEW people here give a sh*t about banned substances.

8. slc

slc Senior Member

They may be able to pull that sort of nonsense in their national or regional competitions, but they have to conform to FEI rules when they compete in FEI(international) competitions and for example the DOHA competitions are run under FEI rules and that means full on FEI drug testing with very high sensitivity tests. And many endurance horses from the Middle East countries are getting disqualified and suspended in FEI competitions. They know the FEI rules, they just are not yet quite believing they have to follow them. Well, they do. And in fact the FEI has suspended whole COUNTRIES for not conforming to the drug rules. The FEI is adamant that they intend to run drug free equestrian sport.

...Looking for an American company that sells certified feed.

Not because I need to purchase it immediately. But because recently there was a feed contamination suspected in my county(4 horses died), and because I'm trying to figure out how American riders protect themselves from random contaminations of random batches of feed that they might have been using for years without a problem. I'm not sure any feed company tests at the level FEI regulations would require, but I'm also not sure how companies protect themselves from random cross contaminations when mills prouce other feed products that are harmful to horses.

There have been some high profile feed contamination incidents recently and in general, the feed companies of the higher end horse feeds maintain that their feeds couldn't be contaminated and the contamination must have been from something else such as a supplement, treat or cross contamination of a horse from another horse/feed in the same barn.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017