Horse Farm Help? Need help..How much to pay?

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by conniejo1177, Mar 20, 2013.

1. conniejo1177

conniejo1177 Senior Member

Need some help. How much do or should you pay on for a high school kid for Horse farm help? They would be picking manure from arena's, cleaning stalls, sweeping isle ways, maybe lunging horses....They would get the opportunity for a free lease of a horse, free lessons, and lots of experience. What would be a good pay per day (3 hours) or hourly?

Thanks for your help...

2. tata77

tata77 Senior Member+

My trainer pays her students $10 an hour.

3. pitchblackdam38

pitchblackdam38 Senior Member

I like the $10/hr or that amount towards the lease or lessons. So if they work 3 hours, they get $30 toward a lesson, etc...

1 person likes this.
  4. 2006reswc

2006reswc Banned

Our older experienced farm hands get $550 per week and the kids still learning get $25 per day for a 8 hour day

5. suncheyenne

suncheyenne Senior Member

When I was barn help, it was 25 dollars a day 8hrs.
    That was a couple years ago, and I just used it towards board in the winter.
    So, maybe 40$ a day,
    Rookie barn help (stall cleaners, muckers)
    should be watched before letting them lunge horses.IMHO

6. conniejo1177

conniejo1177 Senior Member

I definately agree about rookies NOT lunging horses! lol! Hoping to pick up a kid that has some experience with horses, but are looking to further their education with horses. I put an ad out, and have had a lot of responses...Most have NO experience and think they are going to groom horses all day long! lol! I thinking cleaning stalls and cleaning manure out of paddocks, pastures, and arenas!

7. 2006reswc

2006reswc Banned

When I was barn help. it was $5 per day. We only let them do clean up. They DO NOT handle horses in any way. The stalls or pens are empty.

8. Chester

Chester Senior Member+

Is there a minimum pay rate there? If so, you need to pay that.

Cash can be offset by lessons/lease/board.

I am certainly glad that some people are not employing my daughter. $25 for 8 hours work is wrong regarding of age and experience. In fact, most people in menial work get paid better than some with office jobs. It is that sort of exploitation of kids that gives the horse industry such a bad name. I am glad the people my daughter works for not only pay her properly but treat her as an equal.

1 person likes this.
  9. 2006reswc

2006reswc Banned

They get free schooling at shows and 1/2 price banding/braiding and body clipping with that. So when you factor that in, they are actually well above the min.wage of &7.50 per hour. We only employ kids during the summer and they must be A/B students. We are only interested in kids looking for admission into a college for either an equine related business degree. The ones who want to be vets, get a internship in the breeding shed, with hands on use of the lab equipment.

10. TheEtc

TheEtc Full Member

I would just like to throw this out there.... Farms are not required to pay minimum wage or over time. "Extras" such as free lessons, leases, or housing can also be deducted from base pay. It sucks but it's all "fair" from a legal stand point. Personally, I think stall cleaners/grooms/etc should start out at minimum wage (especially if they don't have experience) until you can see what kind of job they actually do and how reliable they are. I was working at a show barn for a while cleaning 30+ stalls and I got $50/day for 10-12 hours of work. Needless to say, that wasn't worth it one bit. :no:

1 person likes this.